Changing from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Question, my 30 gallon tank is in its third week of fish in cycling. I bought the tank used as well as the gravel that is currently in it. I did thoroughly clean everything, but some of the gravel has lost its coloring & I really didn't like it to begin with, but I worked with what I had. I posted earlier that once it is cycled I would like to plant, but I think I have changed my mind after all the research I've done. The point of this is, I want to switch out the gravel to sand, would doing this stall the cycle?

Nope, as long as you don't mess with your filter you should be just fine. IMO you might even help
Your cycle. The colored gravels have always been sketchy to me. most of those gravels are really white gravel the has been color coated which can't be good for a system.

Couple tips. I would remove about 25
To 50% of your tank water. And then start scooping out the gravel. Once you have that done. Whichever sand you choose, remember to rinse the heck out of it. A lot of people use play sand from the hardware store because its really inexpensive. Only downside is you have to
Do a ton of rinsing. The easiest way to rinse is to fill a 5g bucket 3/4 full of sand and turn on the garden hose. Keep shoveling the end down in the sand while letting the bucket over flow. It's done when the water in the bucket runs clear!

Good luck!

The only thing I'll add to the above is when putting the sand in, use some sort of tube like pvc. Put the tube in the water, touching the bottom. Pour the sand in the tube, let settle and slowly remove the tube. This will reduce the amount of sand that needs to settle when done. It's also a good idea to throw some panty hose over the filter intake so you limit the amount of sand that gets in the filter. Less cleaning later on.

Sweet! Ill be going to get some today! I've never really been a fan of gravel anyways. Plus I'm wanting to eventually get either albino or peppered Cory cats & I don't want them to get hurt on the gravel. Plus the lfs hardly ever has anything but common plecos & I don't want it to get too big for this tank as that is not fair to him & I don't know anyone to re home him to If that time comes!

I know. I really liked that but we decided to go with a tiki hut beach theme so we got Beige pool filter sand. So much for my temple & Buddha decor! That's okay though, Blaze our male betta will be getting the Buddha & temple, it fits him better anyways! :)

Back
Top Bottom