chemicals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my lfs said i need cycle brand chemical and i should add it every week once a week and when i add new fish. is this stuff going to do my tank any good at all?

also he sold me waste control chemical, would that do my tank any good also?

absolutely not to the waste control chemical. it will only mess you up in the long run.

What is the name of the cycle brand chemical? If it is "Cycle" then that stuff is pretty much useless, if it is BioSpira (sp?) then I've heard good things, but I'd wait to see everyone else's replies.

Some say cycle helped them to cycle their tank, some say it doesn't work. I though your tank is already cycled, if so you don't need to use it. Don't at all the fish at the same time and you'll be fine.

The waste control chemical is useless. Denitryfying bacteria are the natural waste control in a tank. Don't overstock or overfeed and you should be fine anyway! It's just junk, that they want to sell you to make money :( .

Well, since you already have it, you can try it, but you will still have to add something the bacteria can feed off, maybe some fishfood or some uncooked, unseasoned shrimp. Then monitor your water parameters. You should be adding fishes first, when you can detect nitrates (not toxic - plant food) and the nitrites and ammonia are zero (both toxic).

The less chemicals and such that you add to your tank the better.

Cycle is for the most part worthless, IMHO. It can, if fresh and stored properly, provide a bacteria which are somewhat condusive to helping the real nitrifying bacteria gain a foothold. But its actual usefullness is a matter of opinion and you know mine.

Waste Control, just another potentially dangerous chemical additive, IMHO. A healthy, properly filtered and maintained and stocked tank does not require such intervention.

Many products on the market are simply moneymakers.
Even some medications and their directed useage/dosage are highly debated as to their effectiveness as marketed, use'em your fish still die or the illness/disease returns, end result you buy more meds and fish.

The only things you need to do for a healthy tank is,
Fully cycle.
Properly filter, without the use of all the money making media, e.g. carbon, various NH3, NO2 & NO3 asorbers and ect...
Carbon has its uses but is not needed fulltime and can even be detrimental.

Don't overstock.
Don't overfeed.
Quarantine new fish and plants..
Maintenance,PWC's, GV'g, filter/media rinsing and use a quality water conditioner. Seachems Prime is probably the best, IMHO.

actually, if you just transfer some substrate or stuff from your filter in the 5 gallon to the 20 gallon then you will jumpstart your cycle quite nicely.

Excellent Ideas...
Actually a cup or three of established substrate is excellent seed material. I would take half the established media and all the filter gunk and transfer it to your new filter. Filter gunk and sponge/floss squeezins are loaded with bio-bacteria.

in the 5 gallon i have 3 bio balls and i could put the fiolter carterage in the 20 gallon will that help bc now the 5 gal is really clear

about overstocking the most i think ill put in thew 20 will proly be 1 or 2 more chiclids, already have 2, and maybe a pleco but dont kno

ChileRelleno, while being one of my favorite foods, is also absolutely correct :p The Waste Control chemical only treats your problem symptoms but not their cause. In the end, even if it works, if you don't control the causality of the issue your problems will just come back. Figure out why you have excess waste and prevent it rather than looking for something to erase it :)

I haven't tried Cycle or even Stability yet, but I use StressZyme and it works for me.
I had decided to cycle with fish (10G with about 15 Tetras) and ended up with 30% PWC daily, sometimes even a second one a day. Always afraid that the levels have been to high already and would kill my fish. And it would not get into the Nitrite cycle after 4 weeks .
So when I set up my 46G bow I was thinking about fishless cycling and ended up with fresh shrimp from the deli counter... no Ammonia even after 10 days and slight stink :)
So I replaced the water twice to get the smell out and started with StressZyme (StressCoat to remove chlorine) 2 days later. I added the fish (the Tetras from the 10G) the same day and everything worked out. I was immediately on weekly PWC of 25 % and checked the levels twice a day.
So far it worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom