Chemistry fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I´d advise you to be more concerned about how you´ve overstocked your tanks rather than altering your ph. How long have you had that goldfish tank that crowded? You will need much more than another 40 something gallon tank for all those fish. Also, do you have a plan for all the fry that your mollies and guppies are going to produce...if they survive?

Fyi...my ph is 6.5 out of tap and nearly 8 in my tanks. I do 80% weekly water changes on my goldfish tank with no issues.

Last edited:
Oh my, yes - can anyone say new couple thousand gallon fish pond coming soon???

Good suggestion would be
Read this, its not really like a chemistry class! ;)

"Fancy" in the title there still includes the ones you have, it is even more important for the common GF and Sarasa Comets (12"+ to 18") long fish.

For more eye popping sights just g00gle images or search
common goldfish in lakes

Unfortunately common and Comets one of the worst fish for beginners and kids and fairs to give out, and to live in the average home aquarium. Who can imagine that cute little fish should get so darn huge!!! Why they get sold and tell people they just get 4 inches is because they often suffer stunting in smaller quarters or die before reaching their full natural size.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

I´d advise you to be more concerned about how you´ve overstocked your tanks rather than altering your ph. How long have you had that goldfish tank that crowded? You will need much more than another 40 something gallon tank for all those fish. Also, do you have a plan for all the fry that your mollies and guppies are going to produce...if they survive?

Fyi...my ph is 6.5 out of tap and nearly 8 in my tanks. I do 80% weekly water changes on my goldfish tank with no issues.

"Tanks?" One has 4 fish. Another has 2. Hardly over crouded. I only have the goldfish one over populated and that was by necessity. A friend was moving and had to get rid of all his tanks and fish. We took the tank and his, who knows how many fish.

I'm not worried about it. I know they grow large. I've had it about 3 months and haven't lost a single fish. That said, I don't plan on keeping it like this. I'm going to start giving away starting with the larger ones first. Our neighbor has an outdoor Koi pond. He might take some.

Oh my, yes - can anyone say new couple thousand gallon fish pond coming soon???

Well maybe not thousands but I will be adding another 30 gal. One is going to be high ph hard water and the other will be low ph, soft water. That would then be two 47 gal, two 30 gal, one 10 gal. Goldfish are going to be rotated out.

No plans for guppy fry. Wife just likes the babies ;)

And I can invision a couple hundred gallon one way down the road.

Hum.
I would say ammonia is killing your fish.Fish /fry acclimated to 'poor' conditions often survive[longer] then a new addition that did not have the benefit of growing used to water over time ...
When the ammonia [and nitrites] are gone you should be good..Good luck with the g fish tank !
On to water .
My tap water is [exactly ] ;
PH 7.6
GH 9
KH 2-3 [depends on how you count drops ?]...
TDS 350 ppm..
If you enjoy the chem aspect of fish keeping you are wasting your time measuring anything but TDS more then once as a baseline...
The TDS is really all that matters IMO..
I keep and breed fish that require both 'soft' water [German blue,Electric Blue ,Black Rams ] and fish that require 'harder' water like yours [ swordtails and red picta].
First I will say raising all my fish is done in straight tap NEVER messed with.....NEVER.
It is fine and trying to chase numbers is nothing but a death sentence for your fish not done properly and consistently...
Now for breeding these fish I make water better for them ...Chemistry !
I use RO and remineralize my water for the rams seeking a TDS of 100 or so...Not the softest by far but it works like clockwork...I test NOTHING else.
For my beloved swordtails I use WONDER SHELLS added to my tank and allowed to completely dissolve over however long it takes ..They say it 'sweetens' the water..I always assumed it made the water harder... I guess one could say it does as my TDS in one tank was well over 1,000 ppm ! BUT the PH was down to 6.8... Further reading indicated this is common and the regular addition of baking soda will help to keep the ph from going to low..I am not super concerned with my PH but don't want it much under 7 for the swords if I can avoid it even with the TDS elevated as it is .It takes very little baking soda to keep steady which can be calculated over time and added to new water during water changes...
You need to learn how your tank holds and treats water..What happens to it after adding [Why I tested ph after my start of wonder shells]..
IMO a TDS meter is way more important them all the other test..The PH is helpful at times ,like with the use of the wonder shells but otherwise 'useless info ' IMO past your 'baseline'
I would not add crushed coral or limestone ,although they are a couple of the correct methods to go about raising your ph/kh/and gh..They will all likely climb with anything you try and some uncontrollably over time...
Get a TDS meter [HM TDS 3 for like $20]...
Personally and even to some 'professional' keepers I would not recommend trying to make water harder for any fish besides African cichlids..The wonder shell and baking soda will do everything you need simply ,accurately and safely..

Your g fish tank needs nothing but water changes every other day.They are versatile fish but the water quality [regardless of parameters like ph/gh/kh] needs to be very clean..They are by nature large waste creators and in small tanks they can be their own worst enemy...

Be careful messing with your water as it is literally messing with your fish which can be a short lived experiment...
I recommend this pen ;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...p/B000VTQM70&usg=AOvVaw3LKK5WCoEoFgIxQKM-GWEZ

Back
Top Bottom