Choosing between filters for a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizG

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello to all! Fist time poster here. I just got a 55 gal tank yesterday, blame it on the Petco $1 per gal sale, and my newly diagnosed multi tank syndrome. :)

Anyway.... I'm trying to decide between two filters. One is the marineland penguin 350 c filter or the AquaClear 70 power filter.

I read good things about both, but since this could potentially make or brake the quality of the tank water, I wanted to run this by you guys. Please feel free to suggest something else you think could be better!

I'm also intrigued by under gravel filtration, but I have not read enough about it yet.

I would always recommend 2 filters of different types... just a good safety mechanism. It was something I started doing in the 80s... and since getting back in, I am back to seeing the advantages. Though I use one major and one .

So... how about a big AQ or canister and then a small of the other?

Just a personal philosophy from ages back.

Ok. So two different brand filters? Same gph or different?

Interesting about the under gravel filter. I want to simplify things...... so note to self, stay clear of under water gravel filter for the moment.....

Ok. So two different brand filters? Same gph or different?

Interesting about the under gravel filter. I want to simplify things...... so note to self, stay clear of under water gravel filter for the moment.....
I have always done one filter for a size up and one for a size down. But this is me.

So undergravel work really good with the right gravel, constant gravel cleaning and then years later you either cap it or do a complicated cleaning from underneath. Learned to stay away from those by the the mid 80s. Oh and they are really for low bioload as well.

So which one would you go under? The AquaClear, or the Marineland?

Honestly I have never been a canister person... But many people consider them the cats meow.

My wife just freaks at how big they are lol. I always worry about potential mess. Both are concerns are kinda BS though.

Pick what you want. What fits your vission of a perfect tank.

I'm considering the two I mentioned. I feel confident about the AquaClear. I guess the Marineland should be ok. Mostly good reviews on that one. Fingers crossed!

I'm not fond of bio-wheel filters (others love them), so I'd recommend the Aquaclear. You get quite a bit of flexibility in the media you can use, i.e,, you're not stuck using the manufacturer's "house brand" media. (That may be true of the Marineland filter - I don't recall.)

One thing I would do is echo the poster above who recommended two filters. In your case, I'd advise either two AC 70s, or an AC 70 and a canister filter rated for a size above your tank. That way, should one fail, you won't be without at least adequate filtration on the tank, and, when they're both working, you will have very clean water and your fish will be very happy. (y)

55g I would go with a canister. I know it costs more. Its worth it.

I only run HOT's on smaller tanks, the three 20 longs

Like the other poster, I'm not a huge fan of bio wheels so the Aqua clear would do it. I have two penguin bio wheels; a little bit of gunk and they stop spinning anyway. Pain to maintain. Not really "sold" on the science either.

Whichever you do, I believe in interchangeable parts and spare parts. For emergencies... and sanity reasons.

After reading your posts, I am inclined to return the Marineland with the bio wheels. The AquaClear should arrive soon.

What are the drawbacks of a tank filter, if any?

Oops! I meant to type canister filter! :p

Ok. I gave up on the Marineland Penguin 350, and have 2 AquaClear 70 filters on the way. Thank you for the help everyone!!!!

Back
Top Bottom