Choosing parts for a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy folks,

I've been an avid reader of the site for a while now, and have just recently started to post questions when I can't seem to find my answers. Now I think I'm looking for some opinions/experiences.

Simply put, I've found a great deal on a 72gl bowfront (AGA) at a LFS in NJ ($129.99+tax). I've priced out most of the parts adn pieces I'd need to start it stably, however thats caused some more questions... For some background - This would be (provided funding via the husband/wife negotation team comes through) a FW Planted tank. I intend to stay between 1.5 and 2.5 wpg, in hopes of not requiring C02 (at least at first, maybe in time)

1 - Bow front versus standard. It makes sense when you think about it, that light will have a harder time 'reflecting' to the front of the tank (bowed edge). How do you combat this ? Thinking to AHSupply.com's 55w and 96w kits, I could imagine setting a 96 along the back, and a 36 or 55 in the middle, to allow more light into the front of the tank. My curiosity then, is how does it effect the plants/fish in the middle/rear of the tank. Will they get an effectively higher wattage than those in the front? Is this something inherent to bowfront tanks despite all efforts? Curious to see how some of you have handled it...

2 - I'm interested in Emperor Bio-Wheel filters, there is a variety of sizes and such available. Obviously the cheapest option would be to purchase the 400, for which the 72gl is within capacity. With larger FW tanks, is it beneficial at all to get more than 1 filter? It wouldn't cost that much more (in the short term) to get 2 - 40gl capacity filters. Would that be more beneficial to the tank, in that each filter can re-filter more water faster ? Curious to see what you all have done, problems encountered with one or the other solution and what you did to fix it...

3 - Genereally speaking, I'm looking to purchase the 72gl tank and lid from the LFS, a Marineland Emperor 400 dual wheel filter, 40lbs of Eco-Complete, a 2x55W light kit from AHSupply.com, and build the stand myself.

Sorry to ramble on... but gotta spit it out somehow...

no experience with the emp filters but alot of poeple here do use and like them. The only thing I can tell you is to somewhat disregard what the label reads for how big of an aquairum a filter san be used on. First thing is the gph is rated with the filters empty. Some will say that with media 1/3 to half what the box pgh will be true. Second, most filters are sold with the noted gph to turn the tank water over around 2-3 timesevery hour. This may be enough to start off when the tank has very little fish but once stocked a little fuller, the water should by turned over anywhere from 5+ per hour. Some folks here swear by min. 10x per hour. So for a 72 gal minus the substrate and decor - 70gal anywhere from 350 to 700 gph would work well. I have never gone to the 10x but had good success with around the 5x mark. On a 72 gal planted tank you might want to look at a canister filter and an hob or two canisters. The canisters are nice because they take all the "stuff" that hangs on the back and puts it under the tank in a cabinet. I'm starting my 75gal with an xp3 that is rated at 350gph and will be adding more filtration once my tank is a little more stocked. HTH

Thanks MazdaMan,

Thats a tidbit of knowledge I have yet to come across on filters. Filter to tank capacity is directly proportional to gph. I would have expected it to have something to do with the filter technology, and how much of the water is really filtered versus just being thrust through filter media. Interesting.

So would it be a relative consensus that at least 2-3x per hour water turnover would be considered minimum, and 5x and up being recommended. I think it makes alot of sense that you want to turnover more water than you need to, to get ALL of the water at least once an hour or so.

How do you feel about 2 filters, whether canister or HOB. Personally, when I look at the technology, and how it suctions water and cannot help but think that 2 or more filters for a large tank (75+gl) cannot be a bad idea. The challenge however, is how much is one willing to spend on filter media/cartridges each time they are changed.

On a tank that size, Canister filtration is the way to go...especially since you want a planted tank. you'll inevitably add some form of CO2 injection if you go with 2wpg or above, and HOB's will remove that CO2 to a degree...while a canister won't push CO2 back out of the water.

Canister media only needs to be replaced yearly. I use a Rena Filstar XP2 on my 75gallon. Very easy to maintain, new sponges ran $10 at my slightly overpriced LFS.

Hey... Wish I could help with your questions, but I'm a lurker, just trying to figure out this kind of stuff as well.. :) However, as I'm near the NJ area, I wondered...

Toker95 said:
Simply put, I've found a great deal on a 72gl bowfront (AGA) at a LFS in NJ ($129.99+tax).

Which LFS? What area? I'd appreciate knowing where to "look around" while I'm trying to figure all of this stuff out...

Thanks much....

One other note that I learned from the great folks on this site is that filter media should not be replaced. The manufacturers will tell you to replace every 4-6 weeks for most media. This in turn would cost a fortune and would not be good for the water and fish. The sponges can easily last 6 months to a year. When they get too dirty just rinse them well in TANK WATER. When doing a PWC just remove the sponges from the filter and "swoosh" them around. This will help keep alot of the good bacteria and save you money on filter media. The only thing I change on a regular basis is the filter floss that removes the really small particules. It ttends to get pretty clogged pretty quick. As long as you have some biological filter media going your tank should stay nice and healthy. One other note is to stagger the filter media cleaning. One month do one tray, next month next tray and so on. This again will maitain a healthy level of beneficial bacteria in the filter. HTH

To answere the other question, yes 2 filters are better than one. I plan on adding at least one fluvol internal/submersible filters once my tank has a little more fish in it. Further down the road I will probably add one more. I personally will not use another HOB, not because I don't like them, but becasue I have the tank in my bedroom and don't want the noise. I have a fluvol 1 that I used on my old 20gal that I quite like so I will continue to use them. They can also be used for additional current, almost like a power head. Looks like I rambled again HTH

Congrats on the new tank. You can check out items at your LFS, but I would buy them on line. Big Als is one of my favorites. You can save 1/3 to 1/2 on most equipment, you just have to wait a few days for delivery but they are quick. :D

skydvr said:
Hey... Wish I could help with your questions, but I'm a lurker, just trying to figure out this kind of stuff as well.. :) However, as I'm near the NJ area, I wondered...

Toker95 said:
Simply put, I've found a great deal on a 72gl bowfront (AGA) at a LFS in NJ ($129.99+tax).

Which LFS? What area? I'd appreciate knowing where to "look around" while I'm trying to figure all of this stuff out...

Thanks much....

Zoo's pet's in Millville. I actually live in MD, however I visit In-Laws in Millville regularly.
They sell the 72gl Bowfront for $129, 75gl standard for $99. They have some sales going on currently for tank/stand/light/hood combo's, if serious, feel free to give them a call. I don't know them well at all yet, but I like the layout/setup. Definately the most stocked (fish & equipment) store I've found in that area. Prices are fair for a LFS, if ya need it now, they are the best bet in that area.

BASSNMAN said:
Congrats on the new tank. You can check out items at your LFS, but I would buy them on line. Big Als is one of my favorites. You can save 1/3 to 1/2 on most equipment, you just have to wait a few days for delivery but they are quick. :D

Thanks, but I don't have it -yet-. Husband/wife negotiations are still in progress, but progressing very well I must admit. I have to admit, I've actually been hemming a little bit about getting the bowfront instead of a standard 75 or 90. I went and looked at it again the other day and it seems taller than I thought, leaving less 'floor' space for plants and such. I'm going to make a mockup/shape for it and test it out where we'd place it in the house.

As for parts/equipment, I have a spreadsheet setup to toss price's into when I come across good ones here. In hopes of keeping shipping down. I don't plan to get anything other than the tank/hood at the LFS, the rest online.

Back
Top Bottom