choosing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I already know I'm going to use pool filter sand but is there any perferable kind?

I've used several kinds. Leslies is one of the easier to find it seems, but most of them look exactly alike. I've found it for $1.99/50lb at Meijer (regional chain), and no more than $10/50lb at other places. Leslies is $9/50lb. I've always had the lighter color, but recently, some members have posted pics of a much darker (and better looking IMO) PFS that they found. PFS is PFS though, when you get down to the chemical aspects of it.

Alright thanks! I just picked some up from leslies! 100 lbs of it.

Alright good! Thank you! Can I have a regualar light with java moss? Since its a low light plant. Or do I need something more then the light that came with my tank?

You talking about an actual flashlight or stating how crappy my light is? Haha either one is true. I would upgrade but there's no good lights for 20 bucks. Haha but what other plants would be good in a 75 gallon tank

You can get 6500k bulbs at Walmart. The wattage is low, I have 4 of the 4 footers (48inch) over one of my tanks, they're only 40w each but with java moss, java ferns and anubias you don't need special lighting. You'd think I had more light on that tank with as bright as it is.

Oh wow. And I'm thinking of doing a DIY CO2 system. You don't really need it though right? Just to compete with algae?

co2 doesn't do anything to algae. What it does is allow plants to grow quicker, which in turns takes up nutrients, which limits algae growth. With java moss, you're wasting your time with co2 IMO

I know I wouldn't do it for the java moss. I meant in the furture I might if I want to add more colorful plants. But I haven't been to my lfs lately, does your petsmart have java moss?

Back
Top Bottom