cichlid behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphinmist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to cichlids and I have some questions. My tank is a 36g bow front, Aqua-Tech power filter rated for a forty gallon, two bubble strips, live plants, sand and coral substrate, large driftwood and another coral cave. I have noticed that some of my cichlids since the day I put them in there rub the bottom of the tank and sometimes on the driftwood. I have two parrots, two venustus, a peacock, a electric yellow, and another orange cichlid. I had an acei but he got attacked and died yesterday. No ick that I have noticed, ph is 8.0, a tiny bit of ammonia 0.5 but am treating that. I just don't know if the rubbing is normal behavior. any information would be very helpful

I don't know about the rubbing but you do realize that the parrots will get really big right? You might need a bigger tank for all those fish.

I already bought a fifty five gallon aquarium just not set up, our fish are all less than two inches right now

It's normal..could be a mating thing or a territorial thing. Don't worry too much about it. Mine use to do that when they were getting use to each other at first..now they know where each other lies.

Back
Top Bottom