Cichlid racing along the tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sara1114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!
So I have a new-ish setup. I made a mistake and added my fish too soon but I am now doing everything I can to correct my mistake. I tested all of the levels tonight and my pH was at 7.6 and the ammonia was at 2.0. I immediately did a partial water change and it brought it down to about a 1.0.
NOW my cichlid is racing up and down the side of the tank. Is this just something they do? My fantail goldfish are doing it too but I think they are just mocking the cichlid.
Thanks for any advice you can provide :)

It's a 40 gallon tank. Water is holding steady at about 76 degrees.

Might be ammonia.. Or just a for fun my gourami did that some times when he had no one else to play with.. What kind of cichlid is it ? Because I know mine like hotter water (around 80) and my goldfish are in an unheated tank (so about 70).. Maybe that could be it but I'm not sure..

Oh and I think some cichilds need higher ph.. But I couldn't cay much more... I'm not an expert just what I found while researching my stock.. Good luck with your new tank :)

It's a jewel cichlid. He's very pretty and surprisingly nice to my other fish lol. Thanks for the help!!

Welcome to AA!!

Can you please provide us with some more information so that we may better help you? Your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What means you are using to test your water? Exact stock? Type of water conditioner used? Temperature?

The toxins in your water are likely affecting your fish and causing the erratic behavior. 2ppm of ammonia with a high ph (please check this with the high ph test as well) is not a good mix. I would change another 50% of the water immediately with temperature matched, properly conditioned water and likely follow with an additional wc if your ammonia does not drop below .25ppm. Continue to do daily (or more frequent) wcs to keep ammonia levels below .25ppm.

Unfortunately, with the brief mention of cichlids and goldfish being in the same small tank, you will need to make some immediate decisions in respect to your present stock. Once we have some more information on the present breeds and numbers of fish, we can offer further advice so you are able to enjoy a happy, healthy tank. Please ask any questions! :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

I'm going to do a 50% water change when I get home from work and then test everything again. I'll let you know the results. Thanks for the help!!

So I just did the 50% water change.
pH is holding steady at 7.6
Ammonia is down to .75
Nitrites is 0
Nitrate is 0

Here is what is in my tank

2 small fantail goldfish (trying to re-home)
1 jewel cichlid
1 dinosaur bichir

What should I do next?

Oh! And I have a baby Pleco
The bichir is still a baby too

Back
Top Bottom