Clarifications on That Really Good Cycling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexSmargle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I've read through the really nice articvle on fishless cycling by Mr. Ogilvie (Don't suppose he's related to ohGr, is he?) (this one here The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice) but I have a few question. I read some of the associated thread too but, admittedly, not all 170+ pages of it so I apologize if it's been talked about before.
I was planning on setting up a tank for a betta fish, maybe an african dwarf frog, and maybe a snail or two. I am a relatively broke college student so I'm getting the equipement in stages while almost obsessively researching so I can be sure to take good care of any and all animals I may get. My equiptment list as it currently stands has a sponge filter and no bubble wand or air stone. I have read in many places that betta don't like currents because of their fins and haven't seen many (if any) lists of necessities that had a bubble wand or air stone. Step 7d in the article says to crank the bubble wand up or to lower water levels so the filter splashes (I'm assuming that is in reference to the HOB filters that have the little waterfall like things?) but I wasn't actually planning on having both.
Are they things I need absolutely that I have just overlooked? If not, will cycling work fine without them?
I will admit, I haven't done a full amount of research on the frogs (hence the maybe) so I don't yet know what they need.
Secondly, can a tank be overfiltered? Aquaadvisor or however that should be written said that every option I picked for filteration on my 10g tank was 200%+ filtered. Is that a problem?
Thanks for your help!

I have had serious problems with my Beta tank. I set it up to be a really cool tank for a Beta...but then wanted to add to it (10 gallons). I put in a couple of snails and some neons which I had heard would be OK together. Nope.

Once the neons had shown to be problematic (killed the Beta) I put in a few small Corey Catfish that I heard would co-exist with a Beta.

Now - after doing what I thought was best with the advice I had - I have 1 Beta and a couple of snails. :)

I gave the extra neons that survived the Beta/Neon fight away. Oddly, they got along for a week or so..even swam together.

(note: the Beta killed the mini-Coreys...I think...the water was fine).

From what I have since read - Betas will get along with other fish for a bit - then you never know - they are very nice looking fish - the best - but very unpredictable when it comes to co-habitating with other fishies.

In all honesty - I don't hold anything against my new red Beta for earlier problems by his kin...he is actually a pretty cool fish. He swims around and flares his fins and when it comes to feeding time I put a couple shrimp/lobster pellets in my had and cup my hand under the surface and he swims up and eats out of my hand. Occasionally I take him out of the water for a few seconds and he doesn't seem to be upset. It's just that he/they have a bad attitude when it comes to other fish.

I did have him in with a couple goldfish in a tank change for a day and he didn't mess with them - but they were 4-times his size:)

Hi,
I've read through the really nice articvle on fishless cycling by Mr. Ogilvie (Don't suppose he's related to ohGr, is he?) (this one here The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice) but I have a few question. I read some of the associated thread too but, admittedly, not all 170+ pages of it so I apologize if it's been talked about before.
I was planning on setting up a tank for a betta fish, maybe an african dwarf frog, and maybe a snail or two. I am a relatively broke college student so I'm getting the equipement in stages while almost obsessively researching so I can be sure to take good care of any and all animals I may get. My equiptment list as it currently stands has a sponge filter and no bubble wand or air stone. I have read in many places that betta don't like currents because of their fins and haven't seen many (if any) lists of necessities that had a bubble wand or air stone. Step 7d in the article says to crank the bubble wand up or to lower water levels so the filter splashes (I'm assuming that is in reference to the HOB filters that have the little waterfall like things?) but I wasn't actually planning on having both.
Are they things I need absolutely that I have just overlooked? If not, will cycling work fine without them?
I will admit, I haven't done a full amount of research on the frogs (hence the maybe) so I don't yet know what they need.
Secondly, can a tank be overfiltered? Aquaadvisor or however that should be written said that every option I picked for filteration on my 10g tank was 200%+ filtered. Is that a problem?
Thanks for your help!

As long as you have good water movement you should be fine. Depends on tank setup but I have a small hob filter on a 6 gallon and that is cycled. I have added some extra ceramic bio-media to the filter.

I don't think a tank can be over-filtered. You would just have perhaps redundant filtration. Water flows too high might be one to check. First internal filter I got for the DT just had a jet of water for outflow and I got rid of that for a more adjustable filter.

I too have a 10 gallon Betta tank. I ended up (after several tries) with an AquaClear 20 filter that hangs on the back of the tank making it easy to maintain. The current IS too strong for the Betta so I Hung a small strip of clear acrylic an inch into the water in front of the water fall to baffle it. It's perfect. I do have an air-stone but can adjust it with a gang valve.

Every Betta is different. I have 4 Mystery Snails and 3 Corys and there is (mostly) peace in the valley...

Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom