Classroom fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,
So as I picked up the aqua hobby this past fall after enjoying my RES and keeping up with her tank, I have fallen in love with my 40B planted tank. Due to having to many live bearers, i transferred a couple of my platties to a 10 gallon in my mothers classroom and her kids loved them. I have a nice 15 gallon to put in there now and I'm not sure what to stock. I was thinking some native killies but I would rather not put illegal fish in a catholic school tank lol not that anyone would notice. So, any suggestions? I have neons, and I think tetras all look alike lol so suggestions beyond the tetra species. Thanks guys/gals. This will also not be planted, I will only have free time to take care of the WC's and my mother can only do so much. Thanks:fish2:

Some Pygmy cories with a school of small rasboras or green fire tetras would be great.

I would put a small plant in or even a fake one but a real 1 would help the fish more. Just my thoughts :) as for fish I'd go for something along the lines of what the guy above me said

Have you thought about putting a piece of DW in there with some type of moss, java or otherwise, add some male only Endlers for color and just 5 or 6 shrimp for the kids to watch and learn about? A simple filter with a sponge over the intake would be good. Or even a Dwarf Orange Mexican Crayfish with the Endlers. Not too hard to care for but the moss would help with nitrates and shrimplets, or if you went with a Dwarf OM Cray you could add a few rocks. You don't have to go overboard. It could be colorful and educational all at the same time but easy to maintain.

Have you thought about putting a piece of DW in there with some type of moss, java or otherwise, add some male only Endlers for color and just 5 or 6 shrimp for the kids to watch and learn about? A simple filter with a sponge over the intake would be good. Or even a Dwarf Orange Mexican Crayfish with the Endlers. Not too hard to care for but the moss would help with nitrates and shrimplets, or if you went with a Dwarf OM Cray you could add a few rocks. You don't have to go overboard. It could be colorful and educational all at the same time but easy to maintain.

I was actually thinking about endlers! And I love the dwarf orange cray, as far as I know they just keep to the bottom and don't chase the fish right? Ive never tried moss before and it wouldn't hurt. But yeah def some driftwood

The Dwarf orange cray's won't bother the fish at all. My daughter has one in her 12g with neons, endler's, and mild mannered betta who toddles around with the endlet's like he's one of them.... it's quite a funny sight!

Back
Top Bottom