Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As for keeping tank mates, given that this is a classroom and not a home, I would say don't do it. Normally I would say maybe depending on the fish but given the classroom and lack of experience (no offense,) I would strongly recommend keeping the betta alone..with maybe some cool snails .
If you decide you want tank mates anyway, I'd stay away from any tetras and any schooling fish. Corys are usually okay to keep with bettas but you should have at least 6, and with the betta in a ten gallon, that's pushing it, and they really should have a sand bottom. A lot depends on your betta...bettas are such inquisitive creatures and their behavior and temperament widely vary. I am an advocate for saying that bettas can indeed have tank mates but under very specific conditions and limitations. I feel most hobbyists would actually recommend no tank mates what so ever, other than snails. A betta can get along great with other fish and snap at any point, even a year after no incidents have occurred. With your situation, the gravel tank, I assume it won't be "heavily planted,"classroom setting, inexperience, etc...don't risk it...my recommendation. If you had sand and a lot of plants, you could get the Pygmy corys.

You seem to be on the right track for cycling and what not. My opinion: you don't need to wait until the cycle is complete to add a betta in a ten gallon. You should indeed wait for a bit...add food like suggested several times every few days for a week or two, and then wait a week or two and add the fish. If adding tankmates, no matter the kind, wait until it's cycled. But then again tank mates should be added before a betta in my opinion to reduce the risk of betta becoming territorial right off the bat. Hope this helps. I'm no expert but I do have lots of experience in this matter and have done endless research myself. Many people will have different opinions based off of their specific experiences, and that's ok, many things in this hobby aren't carved in stone if you catch my drift. So many variables. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Classroom Tank Advice Needed

I still haven't added fish but added some decorations that were donated. The kids came back from winter break today & loved it.[ATTACH] They began their research today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	293077  

Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks great!
Old 01-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I say that neon tetras would be a good tank mate but they are schooling fish and need about six of them. They are fast fish and can get away quickly from any troubles!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Be careful with bettas and tankmates. Some will tolerate it, some won't, and some will tolerate it until they don't. I'm sure other people will chime in with stories of their betta suddenly "snapping" and killing off tankmates. IMO better off not to take that risk. If you want to do more than one fish there's tons of things you can do in a 10 gallon tank.
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: Today was the day I moved the Betta into his new ten gallon. A few hours later he got stuck in his castle's window. My friend was able to get him out but he lost half his tail in the process. He stayed in one spot for a while but was swimming around a little when I left school. What can I do to help him heal? I hope he makes it through the night.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1852 View Post
Update: Today was the day I moved the Betta into his new ten gallon. A few hours later he got stuck in his castle's window. My friend was able to get him out but he lost half his tail in the process. He stayed in one spot for a while but was swimming around a little when I left school. What can I do to help him heal? I hope he makes it through the night.
Hey there! Sorry about your betta!

I'm new to the hobby myself, but I was thinking that you might try Catappa leaves (Indian Almond Leaves, Indian Almond Leaves | How and when to use them! Aquariadise). They have antibacterial and antifungal properties. They also simulate a more natural betta fish environment, simulating the leaf litter they would encounter in the wild. They do however release tannins in the water which might make the water slightly brown--or very brown if you use too many. Not harmful to the fish though.

I'd also recommend getting a "betta leaf". They are widely sold online (Amazon) and in some pet stores. Bettas like to rest and will often find a place to lie down. Ideally, you would place the betta leaf near the surface where the dissolved oxygen concentration is higher and towards the back of the tank where they are more inclined to feel safe using it.

Hope your fish feels better! Good luck!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #18

I'm too new to offer any advice but my heart goes out to you. Hang in there!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Just keep up with water changes to keep it clean. Do you put a bit of aquarium salt in the water? I have read that helps.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1852 View Post
Since I have a Betta of my own, I have done some research on this kind of subject to be prepared for a 'just-in-case' situation.

Currently, the best advice I have for you is to keep an eye on Casper, provide a good, consistent water temperature (70-79 Fahrenheit since warm water helps Bettas recover faster), listen to what the others say about aquarium salt, and provide good feed. Maybe try to figure out how to close off the gap that Casper got himself stuck into so it doesn't happen again. From the sounds of things, I think Casper is a fish that'll try and get into every little nook and cranny of the tank...even if he isn't supposed to fit. I know this cause I got one such fish myself. You'll just have to be careful with the decorations, and give him some time to recover. If he keeps refusing to eat, maybe make a quick stop at the closest LFS and grab ZooMed's Dial-a-Treat to tempt him into eating something. I have heard whispers that Daphnia, which is part of the three dried foods that come with Dial-a-Treat, is supposed to be good for helping a Betta fish recover but I am not sure if that is anything other than rumours.

In regards to whether or not Casper will make it? Well, I have heard of Bettas going through much worse than what you just described and going on to live good lives. Like this rescued fish. I'm pretty sure Casper will make it. Hope that my advice helps.

Tags
advice, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sand | QT filter? »