Classroom Tank Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep the water in pristine condition. Aquarium salt may help, at least to reduce the risk of infection. There are products that may help with trauma. Best way to get help is to do your own research. Many google searches will turn up great threads from some of these forums that are otherwise hard to find. Do you have a picture? I don't want to get your hopes up but I'd like to think optimistically. Just keep a close watch for abnormal behavior/bacteria/fungus/infections. If he eats in the morning and is at least on the move(even if a bit uncomfortable,) I'd say there's a great chance of recovery.

Update he is eating today & swimming around his tank. I'm relieved he made it through the night. He has an anubia in his tank but I will look into getting him a Betta leaf. His tank is heated with a water temperature of 78F

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 178
happy that betta is going strong :) and your tank set up looks awesome :) are you still after tank mates? I have my betta with a shrimp and 2 zebra snails (I have a 5 gallon). my betta use to go for my shrimp but soon learned that little dude (yes I named my shrimp that hahaha) was way too fast for him. and betta doesnt seemed bothered at all by the snails, who are surprising active and interesting.
I had some otos for a very short time. they were so cute! and perfect tank cleaners, very small and are peaceful. my betta was fine with them. however if you do get otos do your research! they are hardy fish only if they survive past the first month. keep us updated :)

happy that betta is going strong :) and your tank set up looks awesome :) are you still after tank mates? I have my betta with a shrimp and 2 zebra snails (I have a 5 gallon). my betta use to go for my shrimp but soon learned that little dude (yes I named my shrimp that hahaha) was way too fast for him. and betta doesnt seemed bothered at all by the snails, who are surprising active and interesting.
I had some otos for a very short time. they were so cute! and perfect tank cleaners, very small and are peaceful. my betta was fine with them. however if you do get otos do your research! they are hardy fish only if they survive past the first month. keep us updated :)

Casper, our Betta, is doing well but still alone. I had my class research & we decided to let him be for now. I've thought about adding a nerite snail or two. But honestly when I went to the pet store they seemed so ugly. I added shrimp to my home tank, 2.5 gallons at the time, & they all died within 48hrs. The kids are happy so I might just leave it as is.

I'd love to add some small cories but I have gravel so I worry about their barbels. I just got cories in my home tank, now a 29gallon, and my children & I love them. But I do have sand at home.

Sand is preferred but smooth gravel is ok. Cories need a 20g at minimum. This allows you to have room to create a proper shoal due to their activity.

Sand is preferred but smooth gravel is ok. Cories need a 20g at minimum. This allows you to have room to create a proper shoal due to their activity.

Not sure what kind of gravel I have at school. I read that pygmy cories could be kept in 10 gallons.

Not sure what kind of gravel I have at school. I read that pygmy cories could be kept in 10 gallons.
I disagree. Some agree. I think if it were 15g with 24in footprint id go for it. Remember ideally you want 5 or 6 minimum. 10g at 20in long isn't enough space IMO for even pygmy. Id love to have some myself.

IMO you should get the Pygmy cories, they're great and do well in 10 gallons. Smaller grain gravel is best for them

As a beginner I wouldn't mix Bettas with anything just yet. I'm pretty much a beginner too but I have had two Bettas for almost a year, in their own tanks, and you just never know what their personality will be like. You could always do a sorority of female Bettas but I don't know much about that, or how many gallons would be needed for that. I was told Guppies are good beginner fish in a 10 gallon. I also have an Anubias. Good luck!

Love your tank set up! I'm new to keeping bettas and already from my experiences I have learn't that 9 out of 10 times they do not take kindly to tank mates. I had mine in a 40L tank with 4 neons and he managed to kill 3 of them overnight.. of course if I had been awake I would of separated him! He now lives with 2 x Otocinclus and gets along fine with them!

Love your tank set up! I'm new to keeping bettas and already from my experiences I have learn't that 9 out of 10 times they do not take kindly to tank mates. I had mine in a 40L tank with 4 neons and he managed to kill 3 of them overnight.. of course if I had been awake I would of separated him! He now lives with 2 x Otocinclus and gets along fine with them!

Thank you. I no longer have the castle in the tank because Casper got his head stuck in there. How big are the otocinclus? I thought they had to be in larger tanks?

Thank you. I no longer have the castle in the tank because Casper got his head stuck in there. How big are the otocinclus? I thought they had to be in larger tanks?

They are tiny little things! I believe they only grow up to 2 inches maximum.. ideally they should be kept in groups of 3 or more.. I think you could easily have 3 with your betta! They do a great job of keeping the glass clean in my tank, such hard little workers! Not my picture but this is what they look like IMG_5384.JPG

Back
Top Bottom