Cleaning a sand based tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help!! I was advised when I set up my new tank that sand looks much more attractive than gravel and reflects the light more. I agree it does but what is the best way to keep it clean?

Once waste starts to build up on it the surface quickly looks grim. The only way I have found is to swirl up the top layer with a net and drag it. I have looked at the battery operated vacuums but would they not take the sand up too?

Any suggestions?:n00b:

Use a regular gravel vac and just sort of swish it above the sand. This should stir up the gunk sufficiently to allow it to be sucked up. You can use a turkey baster (reserved solely for aquarium use, never anything else) for spot cleaning between water changes.

If you find that you need to stir the sand some, then you can get some of the plastic canvas from a craftstore. Cut a piece so that you can roll it and fit it in the gravel vac. It should be the entire length of the gravel vac plus 1-2". You can then run the canvas through the sand to stir it but because of the holes it shouldn't suck up the sand. The lighter gunk will float up and get sucked up by the gravel vac.

Thanks Joy that sounds great. I think the idea of some flexible plastic in the vacuum sounds like a good route to go. Top advice. :)

Now all I have to do is modify the tank lid. It has 1.5" gaps for the electrics and I have lost two fish that have escaped through it!!!

Actually plastic canvas is great for plugging gaps too. It can easily cut and sewn together to form whatever shape you need. I've used it to create a guard that slipped over the back of an aquarium where there were gaps before, and it worked great. For a semi-permanent fixture you could even use a little hot glue to attach it to the backstrip or hood.

That sounds perfect! I have som eglue that I purchased today and will pick up some plastic canvas this evening. Thanks so much for all your help. :)

The turkey baster works great, I use one on every cleaning in my 125 sand tank. I use mine about 15 minutes before sticking the Python in and let the filters get a lot of it.

Thanks, I may well go for the lo-tech start and use the turkey baster (my wife will never notice it missing ;).

Then add the vacumm on after as suggested.

Guys you have made me and my fish very happy. Thanks again.

Don't use a Turkey Baster that has been used for anything else and washed in soap. Go buy a new one, they're only a couple of dollars at the Grocery Store.

Yeah, go get a new one and leave it with your fish stuff for only that use. I usually stir my sand up with my hand every now and again too. It will help release trapped stuff from the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom