Cleaning a SW - Coral tank for Fresh Water use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just acquired a 120gal non RR tank that was used for SW Coral. There is a whitish build up all over the glass that doesnt come off with a scraper...

previous owner told me to use vinegar to clean it but that hasnt done much either...

what can i do to get this tank clean and ready for my cichlids?

thanks..
Mario

The safest way is to take out and discard anything inexpensive such as substrate, low end decor, ect.

Then, clean tank well with a 5% bleach solution and let sit for an hour. Also, soak all of the filters, ect that you plan on reusing in a 5% bleach solution.

Then, REALLY clean it with fresh water well. I mean, scrub it! Rinse the tank 5-7 times with water after you finish scrubbing, and you should be ready to resetup the tank for your FW.

I cleaned a previous sw tank for a freind of mine and I took towels and soaked them in vinigar and let them sit on the stains for about 45 min. then srubed the glass with them and the residue came right off then we rinsed the tank over and over. Good luck

Don't scrub too hard, and be careful with what you do use or you will end up with seriously scratched glass. I wouldn't scrub with anything abrasive.

Vinegar should take it right off, just let it sit for longer.

i just put a small amount of vinegar on a 3"x3" space on the side glass...i had the tank sitting on its side so the vinegar sat RIGHT on this spot...let it sit for like 30 mins...went to rub it off...build up is STILL there...

i dont know what else to do...if this little test had actually removed it, i would have continued...

also, regarding vinegar...should i be careful to not get it on the seals?

a couple of pics...hopefully you can see exactly what it is...first pic is from outside of tank...2nd pic is from inside, hence the darkness of the pic

glass01.JPG

glass02.JPG

looks like salt and lime deposits from hard water? So clean it with the vinegar or other lime-away like products? Of course, after cleaning, rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse again!

Have you tried CLR? That should work as well... Only other thing that might work if it all of that fails is Muriatic Acid (Diluted Hydrochloric Acid). I'd use it as a last resort though.

I would be careful with both of those acids, try to avoid prolonged contact with the seals in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom