Cleaning and stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Prime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm sure none of you remember me, but I was around in October asking for help in setting up my 55 gallon tank.

So far, it's coming along excellently. I've got 6 zebra Danios, and 1 blue gourami.

My cleaning question is this: a small bit of algae has formed on the wall of my tank. The tank has been up for a good two months, and this is the first I've seen of that. Do I just need an aquarium sponge thingy to clean it off, or is there some sort of preventive maintenance that I can implement to prevent it from spreading?

On to the stocking question:

I'd like to expand my fishie inventory. Given my current stocking selections (above), what would you recommend I add to give the tank a little more life and color? The danios are quite small compared to the tank; I was considering some larger fish.

I was also thinking of moving these nonagressive fish to a smaller tank that I'll soon be setting up for my cousin, and picking up some cichlids to replace them. If I go for that option, is there anything I specifically need to worry about?

Thanks in advance for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

I am not much help as I am still new to this. I have a 55gl too as well and I have algae growing. I have a snail so I welcome some growth. LOL I get to focus more on giving the snail treats this way.

This is what I have been doing. It is right? I dunno but it works for me. I do this with my 10gl tank as well I have had it up for awhile now.

I am on a schedule. The algae part... I have seen scrappers etc at the LFS, but I went with a little green pad and it works great.

Every two weeks I clean off the front glass. It has a film on it, and I know there is good bacteria on there too so I dont do the back glass as often as a bubble curtain hides it When I do the back wall I will NOT do the front. That is alot of glass surface if you think about it with some good stuff on it too.

I may skip cleaning off the glass and will during a PWC take out my fake plants gathering the "fuzz" as I call it and I will clean off only the areas that have fuzz in the PWC bucket, so I dont kill my bacteria and I leave most of it alone. Just get the yuckies.

I am all over it in a schedule and watch it. I want it for the snail but I dont want a ton of it. I dont want to add something to kill it as I like to add as little as possible to my tank.

That is what I do.

Eventually, the green algae adheres to the glass and needs some hard scraping. A razor blade, single edge of course, takes it right off. Some of the scrapers have a razor blade built into them. Stay away from the silicone sealant with a razor blade. With no direct or indirect sunlight, I have to scrape only a few times a year.

My tanks are not in direct sunlight so once or twice a month I use a mag float to clean glass. I only use a razor blade or stiff scraper if a tank is have big issues. for general maint. I just use the mag float.

you cxan also just use a plastic card thats what i use it cleans the glass easily even the green spot algea.

Back
Top Bottom