Cleaning filter cartridges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FranTom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is my disclaimer - I'm new to this. Last August my BIL bought my 4 year old son a red cap fantail goldfish (which my son named "Tom") and a 15 gallon tank. He lived happily in that tank with bi-weekly water changes and a Marineland biowheel filter -- but the more I learned about him (and grew to really like the little guy!), the more I felt guilty about his small space. We also added an albino corydora (Rosie) and an otocinclus catfish (Emery). In the 15 gallon tank I changed the filter cartridges (not the biowheel, of course, just the carbon containing filter thing) every two weeks - following the instructions that came with the filter. The tank was always very clear and clean and Tom always seemed very happy and social.

Recently I bought them a 30 gallon tank (with a Marineland biowheel filter for a 50 gallon tank) and let it cycle for a couple of weeks, added Tom and his cleaning crew to the new tank and all was well for a couple of weeks. Then we added another fantail goldfish. That wasn't why we got a bigger tank, honestly, I fell in love with him the pet store and couldn't resist. (Kids named him Francisco.) I read that changing filter media is actually bad -- so I didn't change it at all (just rinsed it in old aquarium water during water changes) in the new tank. But, since we added Francisco the water has become slightly cloudy (milky?). I'm not even sure it's actually cloudy - it's so slight. I can still see everyone and their plants and such well, but it's not as crystal clear as it was at first. When the sunlight shines on the tank (not very often) it actually looks like there are too many bubbles in the water? Tom and Francisco seem healthy (as do their cleaning crew) -- although Francisco is not keen at sharing his food and does seem to chase Tom's tail around to get him away from his food (please tell me this will stop???). I was concerned about the cloudy water (never happened in the smaller tank) and so I changed the filter cartridges (rinsed the new ones in the old water at PWC). Was this a mistake?

Do I need to change the carbon in these filters? Just rinse them is fine??

Also - I never used any chemicals -- we actually filled the tank and do all water changes with bottled spring water (from an actual spring according to the listed source on the bottles).

Would it be too much to add another corydora now that we added Francisco?

Sorry this is so long.

Hey, and welcome to AA! What you are describing sounds like a bacterial bloom. I would recommend getting an API Master Freshwater Test kit if you don't have one already. I would also read about fish-in cycling a tank.
Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, let me know :)

The fish you have are big waste producers; at least the Goldie's are so when you added the 2nd Goldie you probably didn't have enough BB so now your tank is going through at the least a mini cycle. As previously suggested you should get a liquid water test kit to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph. The standard recommendation for Goldie's alone is a 20g for 1 & an additional 10g for each additional Goldie, that's the minimum depending on type of Goldie. The cloudy water is normal for a cycling tank & goes away after some time with water changes. Charcoal in most people's opinion is not needed, you could replace the cartridge with sponge. You'll want to make sure you're feeding your Goldie's the appropriate food of veggies & such, not just flakes or pellets if you're not already.

Oh & I would stop using the spring water. Get ahold water conditioner such as Prime & just use your tap water. My understanding is that spring water or bottled water can be missing some things the fish need. Plus it could get expensive over time.

+1 to the above posts

Welcome to AA!!! It definitely sounds like a bacterial bloom (not the good kind either) due to the tank not having sufficient bacteria to handle toxin levels. An API fw master test kit or another brand of liquid test kit really is a must here as I suspect you have toxins in the tank. You will need to test daily and do water changes to control toxin levels until your tank is fully cycled. This may mean daily (or more frequent) wcs. Amazon has the API kits inexpensively compared to most lfs.

Yes, do not change the filter media- just simply rinse it when doing water changes. It holds the largest portion of your good bacteria necessary for cycling. I would also invest in some Prime no matter what your source of water- it will help to detox ammonia and nitrite during the cycling process.

I really would not recommend adding another fish. Your tank is fully stocked with just the two goldies and you will likely need a further tank upgrade as they grow. Please check out the fish-in cycling link below and ask any questions!! :)

Thanks so much for all the excellent responses. Of course, all of this sparks more questions .... I hope all of you experts can bare with this newbie...

So, I guess, despite the two weeks of cycling fishless - adding Francisco has caused my tank to cycle again. I had cycled the new tank with the gravel and plants from Tom's first tank and then his filter for 24 hours. Would it help to put his old filter back onto the new tank too (it's been sitting dry for about a month - so is the BB still in the bio wheel anymore?)? Will running both filters be too much for them? <sigh> I guess all that waiting and testing and changing and waiting and waiting and waiting and testing ..... etc..... was all worthless once I added a new fish (and changing the filter media surely didn't help)?? Just trying to understand my mistakes so I don't repeat.

What type of sponge can I use with my MarineLand BioWheel (Penguin 200B)?

Our water is city water -- and it's really not good water. We have a home filter and water softner on our water lines that we installed and we STILL do not drink our tap water. Is this really safe for my fish? It feels wrong to me that I add more chemicals to a water that is already filled with chemicals and run through a softner (filled with salt) because that would be healthier for my fish than Spring Water?? Regardless to what I think - you guy are the experts and I will follow your advice. Just wanted to make sure...

Also - Francisco is still on Tom's case (chases Tom around the tank with his head in Tom's tail and chases Tom away from the food). Is this okay? Anything I can do? In reality - I have no idea either of their genders.... I think you see what I might be concerned with here...

I do feed them a pea each once a week. I don't fast them though - should I? I also feed them flakes sometimes and sometimes soaked pellets. I heard corn is another option - do I do the corn just like the pea? Tom has also eaten a few pieces of an algae flake that I put in for the otocinclus catfish (who didn't seem to care about it at all).

I will get back to testing with API kit .... I have, admittedly, gone back to the strips thinking they are easier (sorry!) and that my tank was already pre-fish cycled. :nono:

Please see my answers below in blue and ask any questions!!! :)

Thanks so much for all the excellent responses. Of course, all of this sparks more questions .... I hope all of you experts can bare with this newbie...

So, I guess, despite the two weeks of cycling fishless - adding Francisco has caused my tank to cycle again. I had cycled the new tank with the gravel and plants from Tom's first tank and then his filter for 24 hours. Would it help to put his old filter back onto the new tank too (it's been sitting dry for about a month - so is the BB still in the bio wheel anymore?)? Will running both filters be too much for them? <sigh> I guess all that waiting and testing and changing and waiting and waiting and waiting and testing ..... etc..... was all worthless once I added a new fish (and changing the filter media surely didn't help)?? Just trying to understand my mistakes so I don't repeat.

Add the extra filter- the more filtration, the better! If its dried out, its unlikely that theres any bacteria left but thats irrelevant. Unfortunately, you can not cycle a tank in two weeks or less without adding alot of cycled media. There is no such thing as cycling a new filter in 24hrs. Establishing a new filter takes 4-6 weeks. Fishless cycling adding an ammonia source daily to a new tank takes 6-8+wks.

What type of sponge can I use with my MarineLand BioWheel (Penguin 200B)?

Whatever will fit. The aquaclear filter foam sponges are good canidates and can be cut to fit in your filter housing.

Our water is city water -- and it's really not good water. We have a home filter and water softner on our water lines that we installed and we STILL do not drink our tap water. Is this really safe for my fish? It feels wrong to me that I add more chemicals to a water that is already filled with chemicals and run through a softner (filled with salt) because that would be healthier for my fish than Spring Water?? Regardless to what I think - you guy are the experts and I will follow your advice. Just wanted to make sure...

You are correct- softened water, especially with goldfish, is not a wise idea. Spring water is fine but is going to become expensive very fast especially with daily (or more frequent) wcs in a fish-in cycle. You may want to consider other options such as obtaining water from a different source or using water prior to entering your softener system along with a good water conditioner.

Also - Francisco is still on Tom's case (chases Tom around the tank with his head in Tom's tail and chases Tom away from the food). Is this okay? Anything I can do? In reality - I have no idea either of their genders.... I think you see what I might be concerned with here...

I will come back to this in a bit- some behavior therapy may help Fran but I can not make any guarentees as he simply may be stressed from the water conditions and the tank size. Remind me to go through this!

I do feed them a pea each once a week. I don't fast them though - should I? I also feed them flakes sometimes and sometimes soaked pellets. I heard corn is another option - do I do the corn just like the pea? Tom has also eaten a few pieces of an algae flake that I put in for the otocinclus catfish (who didn't seem to care about it at all).

No corn or heavy starches. Fasting isnt necessary with goldfish as they do not have true stomaches and fair better with small, frequent meals instead. Fasting for my guys is skipping a meal. Ill post an article below that has section on diet- please ask any questions!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

I will get back to testing with API kit .... I have, admittedly, gone back to the strips thinking they are easier (sorry!) and that my tank was already pre-fish cycled. :nono:

The more I learn, the more wrong I become! :) Thanks for sticking with me and teaching me!

The new filter was running for two weeks prior to adding the fish -- I thought doubling the amount of time the fish store suggested was golden. Wrong. I only ran the old filter in the new tank for 24 hours. I will add it to the new tank now so they can have two running. I added 3 plants and all the gravel from the previous tank -- but I'm guessing that wasn't enough. And yes, I never knew about the ammonia - etc. Now I know... a little late -- although I guess a bigger tank is also in our future. Both Francisco and Tom are small now (their body is about 2inches long -- Francisco is about as wide as he is long, though) --- so isn't their 30gallon tank okay for now? That would be 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 for the second.

I had no idea goldfish could eat so many different veggies and no idea about fruit! This should be fun! Thanks so much for that info!

Thanks again!

One more question (sorry!).... would you still use Prime with Spring Water? (I have about 30 gallons of Spring Water to use for now until I find another safe source)

One more question (sorry!).... would you still use Prime with Spring Water? (I have about 30 gallons of Spring Water to use for now until I find another safe source)

Honestly, I would until you atleast have your tank fully cycled and under control. Prime will help to protect your guys from toxin exposure. It also has the benefits of dealing with heavy metals and adding slime coat aids (plus chlorine/chloramine). And, yes, they should be ok in this tank for now but just realize they will grow! :)

Back
Top Bottom