Cleaning frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi,

I have a little frustration with cleaning my tropical tank. i have a 100ltr with about 10 fish in, few guppies, mollies, tetras. I did have white gravel in my tank but have recently changed it to a coloured thinner gravel as the white went horrible brown and I hated it. I empty about 50 - 60% of the water then hoover out the gravel and suck the gravel so it cleans it all round the tank. When I put the fresh treated water back in however, I can still see bits floating round the tank. Then when everything settles with the clean water it is crystal clear and looks fantastic. Is this normal? I cleaned the filters tuesday so I know it can't be that. Am I hoovering enough up when I clean? Any advice much appreciated.

Not getting it all but def normal and 20 to 30 percent weekly changes are plenty

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep,, that sounds normal to me. It's just what happens when you use a gravel substrate. If it really bothers you that much you can always try sand since it's much easier to keep clean.

The 50% weekly water change is pretty standard but you can drop that down if you really want to depending on your nitrate levels. Although that really has nothing to do with the debris in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom