cleaning my 7 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I could probably just do some research on this but I always find everyone has a different opinion so I thought I would ask you, seeing as you got me through my step by step project of setting up my tank as a first timer.

I only have a betta in my tank for now, and he has been in there for a week. How often and how big a water change/clean should I do? Is it best to take him out while Im doing this or just work around him?

once a week, 50% should be sufficient. do you have a test kit to check nitrates? you can keep him in, just be sure to dechlorinate and match the water temperature.

Thanks Andrew. I only have ammonia and nitrite tests, I test my nitrates at the LFS. The test kits are very expensive here. What readings should I expect when having fish in the tank and how often should I be testing?

Thanks Andrew. I only have ammonia and nitrite tests, I test my nitrates at the LFS. The test kits are very expensive here. What readings should I expect when having fish in the tank and how often should I be testing?

no problem :) you want to make sure your nitrates stay under 20 ppm. once you get that test kit, test it once a week to make sure the amount of water your changing, is enough. once you get the levels on a steady routine, you will only need to check it once a month or so to make sure there isn't any nitrate build up.

Back
Top Bottom