Cleaning outside of aquarium glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Undiluted vinegar is great for killing weeds so I am as cautious using it around an aquarium as if it were Windex. I always spray the paper towel away from the tank.

(P.S. I also spray all of my produce with the 4:1 mix to kill bugs that can make you sick.)

Your kidding? Vinegar really kills weeds? I didn't know that. Thanks!

Yep, I always spray the paper towel away from the aquarium too. I don't like anything getting into the water that doesn't belong there. :(

Vinegar is amazing stuff! Between vinegar and baking soda, you hardly need any other products. Trying Googling them. But I digress from the topic at hand...

Oh yeah, they are two powerful cleaners! (y) I use baking soda to brush my teeth. 8-O It doesn't taste real good, but sure does make my teeth feel and look clean. ;)

Your kidding? Vinegar really kills weeds? I didn't know that. Thanks!

I used to have an old homebrew weed killer, I know I'm missing something else but it was 1 gal vinegar, cup of dish soap, and something else. The dish soap would make the mixture stick to the weeds instead of just seeping into the ground. I used to use it on my gravel parking lot that had weeds coming up through it. Don't use it near grass or any plants that you want to stay alive.

Comparing the price of a gallon of vinegar ($1 on sale locally) and a cup of dish soap $? to the price of a gallon of weed killer, it's outrageous. Works really good too, spray before I went to bed and wake up with brown dead weeds. :)

Edit: I believe the other ingredient was salt, couple tablespoons if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to try this. I don't like using regular weed killer and it IS terrible expensive! 8-O Thanks again! :D

actually, glass as any other matherial allows molecules permeation.

just so you get an idea, if you put 1l of water in a bottle of glass that is glass sealed 100%, in about 1000 years you will have 0.999l of water in the glass.

SO, molecules passing is real, but is it dangerous at that rate ?

i'd be more concerned about feeding the fish after spraying windex on your hand (and not washing hands right after) or as previously stated accidentaly spraying windex in the tank.

what i personaly do is put a small cloth between the 2 magnets i use to clean the inside of the tank (inside-tank magnet glass cloth magnet outside-tank) with 2 droplets of water it will do an awesome job at same time inside and outside.

Back
Top Bottom