Cleaning outside of aquarium glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jones2w

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have alot of finger prints on the outside of the aquarium...I know you can't use cleaners to wipe down the aquarium...just wondering if there is a method commonly used by people on AA...I have not the first idea about cleaning glass so any help would be great

TIA

With glass a damp towel then a dry towel is what I use. The damp one to wipe any smudges away, then a dry one to "polish" the glass and cleanup and water left by the wet one.

Same wih me. I just wipe it down with a damp towel and dry with another.

I spray windex on a rag and clean the outside glass. No danger of the spray getting in the aquarium that way.

Not going to happen. If you're concerned, you can avoid it, but glass is going to be impermeable to liquids unless it's cracked. Can you imagine if your car window or house window absorbed water during rain?

theotheragentm said:
Not going to happen. If you're concerned, you can avoid it, but glass is going to be impermeable to liquids unless it's cracked. Can you imagine if your car window or house window absorbed water during rain?
or even the water inside the tank seeping out through the glass.

I use Windex on the outside without problem. It contains ammonia & maybe a bit of the fumes can get into the tank (not through the glass, but may be over the top around gaps in the canopy). But really, a cycled tank will get rid of the small amount of ammonia in a flash.

If you are worried, you can wash with vinegar & hot water, then dry & polish with a paper towel.

I use windex as well. I just spray it on a paper towel away from the tank.

Me too, I actually do this with all of the glass and mirrors in my house as well because if I set that windex bottle down little hands will run off with it in a flash....

I do the same as many of you but I take it a step further (probably overkill). I spray windex on my microfiber in another room with the door closed. I've heard too many horror stories of some windex getting in the tank and stuff dying. It's worth the 10ft walk into the other room for me. :)

I also use vinegar diluted with water. I spray it on a paper towel and then wipe the glass. It really makes the glass shine! (y)

Back
Top Bottom