Cleaning "Play Sand"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Cleaning 150# of Home Depot Play Sand for my 120G tank does not sound fun at all. (Been procrastinating) You tube shows one 5 gallon bucket to rinse at a time. I don't want to do that really. Does anybody have experience or suggestions for this?? I was thinking just dump all 150# in the 120G tank (its empty) Then just putting a hose in the tank. Putting my water pump in the tank and using a a big stick to stir the sand as the pump is pumping out water and the hose is bringing water in?

My advice is to return the play sand and get pool filter sand. Way easier to clean and no sticks or dirt in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A pillow case is your friend. Dump a third of a bag or so into the pillow case, use a garden hose to run water over the sand. Stir occasionally and stop when the water runs clear out the bottom if the pillow case.

I did 100lbs of home depot play sand in my 75g this way and worked great. When you fill the tank pour the water onto a plate or something instead of on the sand. It will prevent it from stirring up while filling.

As far as sticks and dirt... The Quikrete premium play sand (like $4/50lb at home depot) is cleaner than some pfs I had before. You may be thinking of the Quikrete medium sand which turns to mud essentially.

Good luck! I'm about to do another 100lbs since I'm getting back into things. I will definitely be using the pillow case trick again.

Last edited:
Great advice. 3 of the 50# bags I am doing. Thinking of a bulk procedure to do it all at once. I have an extra 55g barrel I could use. Maybe tilt the barrel and pour a bag and a half in slowly and stir like a witches brew? Do it all in 2 sets? Just thinking aloud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My advice is to return the play sand and get pool filter sand. Way easier to clean and no sticks or dirt in it.

From what I have seen the "pool filter" sand is about the same price as the local pet store sand. 20# for about $17. It would total well over $100 when play sand is about $17 for 150#

$12 for 50lbs at Leslie pools.

I ended up using home depot play sand. Dumped 100# in at once into a 55g barrel. I filled it half way with water using my hose. And stirred with a shovel, tipped the barrel to dump the water. Did this about 10 times. After each water dump rolling the barrel did a great job washing the sand (similar to a washing machine) I left the hose running a few times for 15 min or so while I was doing stuff. Total process was about 90 minutes. My buddy helped me lift the barrel on top of the tank. Scooped most out with my hands then tipped the barrel upside down and tapped on the barrel and all the sand dropped into the tank (took about 10min) + 5 min to smooth it out looks natural like dirt/mud like it would look on an ocean floor from my neck of the woods. 120g tank sand rinsed and inside aquarium in less than 2 hours

The big, cheap plastic children's pools are convenient for washing large batches of sand as well, just for future reference :nice:

Back
Top Bottom