Cleaning/Soaking Larger Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
So the wife ordered a decent size dw from the internet. It will be to large to boil in a pot that i have, id need a lobster pot for this bugger. Its really a peice of dw with a rock embedded between 2 roots. I think it will be a nice peice as long as i can use it... so my question is. Im figure on soaking it in a tubbermade container for 2 weeks or so... whats the best way of sanatizing this thing? Ive herd bleach but im not to sure. Please Help?

Heres some Pics

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!oME63(ZymfmBPBjv9SFPg~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!oME63(ZymfmBPBjv9SFPg~~60_12.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 119
  • $(KGrHqN,!lEE7sw9VHhHBPBjvruz)Q~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!lEE7sw9VHhHBPBjvruz)Q~~60_12.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 95
Do u know what the source is? Most dw you'd get from stores just needs soaking to get waterlogged, and has already been sanitized and whatnot. One time I got a piece online and literally ran it through the dishwasher, then let it soak in a tub with water and some salt for a few hours, rinsed it, and called it good.

We got it off ebay, person selling it lives no more then 30 mins from me... So its found in a local stream/river, in the back woods of PA. Im more worried about bacteria then anything else. I figure the rock will sink it once cleaned.

Boil it for 20 minutes, change the water and boil again. Watch to make sure you don't burn it. To that a few times then soak it. Or you can soak it first in hot water and see if you get any tannins.

If it has a rock embedded I wouldn't boil it
River rocks can explode from that
That's what I've heard

Yea I've heard that too. I've taken rocks and set them in boiled water for a few seconds if I need to, but that's all.

Im really figure on placing it in a plastic tub and pouring boiling water on top of it. Sadly i dont have a dishwasher... Unless you count the wife. :p

JesseMessykinn said:
Im really figure on placing it in a plastic tub and pouring boiling water on top of it. Sadly i dont have a dishwasher... Unless you count the wife. :p

Lol! You should be good if you pour boiling water over it, let it soak until that water cools and do it again three times or until the water is clear in the tub after the soak. I haven't boiled any of my driftwood for lack of big enough pots. So I boil,pour and soak them in my sink. LOVE that piece by the way :)

Soggy to the point of falling apart? Or just a little softer?

You know it's rude to leave people waiting for pics don't you?? ;-) lol! All kidding aside, how's it look?

Back
Top Bottom