Cleaning the filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so my 10G is cycling right now. When and how should i clean or replace the filter??

The filter is the aquatech 5-15 (is this good enough?)

Also the ammonia spike is about 4PPM right now should I continue to add fish food daily?

You don't replace the filter at all during cycling .... yes keep adding fish food so the ammonia stays around 4. <There is always a bit of a lag between adding fish food & the ammonia level, as the fish food has to decompose, so if you find the level getting to high, you might have to cut back a little.>

After the tank is cycled, you only need to replace the filter when it falls apart. Most people just swish the filter in some tank water weekly to get rid of the crud & reuse until the filter starts to disintegrate (months later), then you replace 1/2 of your filter material at a time (a few weeks apart) so you don't set back your bio-filter.

When you have a 1 piece filter media that is kind of hard, like the 10g kind. When the tank is established enough, you have the bacteria in the gravel and on the glass....etc. I just change out the pad. I do it when I am doing a PWC also so that I can rinse it in tank water first. That is in an established tank though. I would never do that in a cycling tank.

Another question... When my cycle is over should I vacuum up the decayed food that is on the bottom or leave it there?

50w, brand of your choice. the visi-therm stealth seems to be the favorite around here, but i have a tetra 50w in mine... mine isnt adjustable, but keeps my temp right at 76...

50w, brand of your choice. the visi-therm stealth seems to be the favorite around here, but i have a tetra 50w in mine... mine isnt adjustable, but keeps my temp right at 76...

I was thinking about getting one of those but got shyd away from it by the members here.

mine works flawlessly, i even have one in my 30g, theyre cheap, easily replaced, and are easy to hide, but everybody has their own opinion. the reason i like mine is because i got it for $10, where the others were all at least $20...

ya that was my thinking lol

Since I got views on the thread lol What is the ideal PH level for a FW?

the ideal ph in a fw aquarium is a stable one lol... you can do 6.8, 7.0, whatever, mine is a steady 7.8 in all my tanks. Consistancy there is way more important than a certain ph, except for fish like discus, which you obviously arent putting in a 10g... just make sure you acclimate the fish to the water slowly, as most lfs are nowhere near your tanks params...

Back
Top Bottom