Cloudy eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adangelo100

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just finished treating my fish for ick... I had 5 neon tetras and a silver dollar... Everything was fine for about a week until last night all 5 of my neons went belly up In a matter of 2 hours and I notice my silver dollar has a white/translucent film over his eyes... It looks cloudy but he's rubbing against the glass.. I tested my water and everything is fine except my pH is WAY too high... How can I lower my pH safely and how can I fix the cloudy eye problem if at all...

So I just tested my tap water and it was pretty high but when I put the water conditioner it lowered significantly but I still need help with the cloudy eye... it's making me really nervous I tried to get a pic of him but he is fast and you can't really see his eye too well... It actually looks normal in the pic but if u squint reaaaallly hard you can sort of see my problem

Attachments

• image-3402915891.jpg
    image-3402915891.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 85
Common Name: Cloudy Eye
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms (nonspecific), Severe Stress, Malnutrition, Cataracts, Old Age, Hyperproduction of slime due to poisoning, bad water quality, or irritation.
Physical Signs: A cloudy white or grey "haze" over the eyes that may cause blindness.
Behavioral Signs: Associated with loss of vision, also just general signs of lethargy.
Potential Treatment: Investigate if water quality is high first (water changes), then if nutritional needs of that species are being met. Wait at least a week or two before trying any antibiotics, it will often clear on its own if water quality is high.
Other Notes: Frequent water changes a must to improve quality. Test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Cloudy eye is a sign of a number of things, rather than a disease in its own right.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM

Also what ate the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Is the tank cycling?

Usually it's 6.8/7... And I know that's pretty high too... But more tolerable I guess? I don't know I'm still really new to this... I just don't know if the cloudy eye is bc of a bacterial or other type of infection or if it's the pH... I'm so confused :(

The parameters are 0,0,10.. The tank finished cycling a couple days ago... And thank you for the link/info!!!

Adangelo100 said:
Usually it's 6.8/7... And I know that's pretty high too... But more tolerable I guess? I don't know I'm still really new to this... I just don't know if the cloudy eye is bc of a bacterial or other type of infection or if it's the pH... I'm so confused :(

7 is neutral. I don't know why you think it's high :). The number isn't important (usually) but whether it's stable or not. You don't want to mess with the pH at all IMO.

The cloudiness could be from ammonia and nitrite encountered during the cycle. Good clean water usually does the trick. You can try some aquarium salt to see if it makes a difference. 1 flat tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Dissolve it in a container of tank water and add it slowly over a day or so.

I'm sure someone's told you this but silver dollars are schooling fish and can reach the size of a dinner plate. I hope you have plans to upgrade and get him some mates in the future.

Oh yes I know... Thank you for the help... The reason why I thought it was high was bc I read in several places that silver dollars like a pH of 6.5 or something... I just hope that cloudy eye goes away with the better water conditions

Most fish (except for the most sensitive) can adapt to a wide rage of different pH. If its stable he's fine. He would already be adjusted to it. Keep us posted on his condition. If he gets worse or doesn't improve soon let us know and we can explore other options.

Thank you so much! I don't know what I would do with out this forum... Everyone here is so nice and helpful! :)

Oh I just realized I didn't address the neons dying.
Did you temperature match the water?
Use dechlorinator?
What's the pH straight out of the tap, in the tank normally and aged tap water?

I used dechlorinator, temps matched and let them sit in the bag in the water for 20 mins and used the drip method... Tap water straight out is 7.6/7.8 but I'm waiting to let it sit overnight like you said to let it sit... I did test another batch before I did a water change after I put the conditioner in (aqueon water conditioner) and it was lowered to 6.4/6.6

Both eyes cleared up significantly... I'm not out of the woods yet but the progress is fantastic... He's back to his usual cheerful self!

Back
Top Bottom