Cloudy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolinagirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I have a question for a family member. He set up a 55 gal tank about a month ago and has some tiger barbs and a couple sharks in the tank. He cleaned everything before putting it in the tank and since the initial set up the tank has been cloudy. He went and bought the water clarifier and used it and it cleared it up for a couple days and its back to being cloudy. He took all of the plants and decorations out this past weekend and cleaned them again and still the tank is cloudy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it a milky white? Sounds like a bacteria bloom. Don't use clarifiers it will go away by itself. They are common in cycling tanks. What are the parameters? If its only one month in the tank is still cycling and needs daily water changes.

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Try doing 60% water changes daily till it's goes away

If the tank is cycling that much water should be getting changed daily anyway.

Carolinagirl said:
He says its a brownish orange cloudyness. Not quite sure since I havent seen it but thats what he is describing!

Did he add any new wood to the tank?

No he says he hasnt added anything to the tank recently. But lately he has noticed that something is eating the paint off of the aquarium decorations as well. He had to take some things out because of this. I will tell him he has to cycle the tank and see what happens! Thanks guys!!

Carolinagirl said:
No he says he hasnt added anything to the tank recently. But lately he has noticed that something is eating the paint off of the aquarium decorations as well. He had to take some things out because of this. I will tell him he has to cycle the tank and see what happens! Thanks guys!!

Yes cycling is VERY important. Take your test kit over and test it for him. Make sure he's doing large daily water changes so his fish aren't swimming in 'poison'. FYI if he has red tail sharks or rainbow sharks he will have to rehome all but one. They get large and aggressive to their own kind and others like them.

Carolinagirl said:
He has both of those sharks in the tank with the tiger barbs!

Eek! The barbs are fine. Them and 'sharks' are a good match. Both feisty! Lol. But yeah, only one shark per tank. 55g is the minimum for one (well one per tank no matter what size).

lol i told him about the sharks and hes not happy... typical man! :) I personally have 2 sharks, a bala and an albino rainbow but they stay on opposite sides of the tank right now and I don't have any problems with them, bu I'm also not having anymore problems with my tank thanks to you guys!! We recently set up a 20 gal and put Glofish and a couple cory catfish and I did the cycling and everything for that one and its perfectly fine! Hopefully he gets it worked out and does what I suggested he do.

Carolinagirl said:
lol i told him about the sharks and hes not happy... typical man! :) I personally have 2 sharks, a bala and an albino rainbow but they stay on opposite sides of the tank right now and I don't have any problems with them, bu I'm also not having anymore problems with my tank thanks to you guys!! We recently set up a 20 gal and put Glofish and a couple cory catfish and I did the cycling and everything for that one and its perfectly fine! Hopefully he gets it worked out and does what I suggested he do.

Lol! I'm going to have to be the bearer of more bad news :( balas are not suitable for anything but the largest of tanks (125g) they get huge and need proper schools.

But I'm glad your tanks going good now! (y) :D

Back
Top Bottom