Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a fluval chi 25 litre Saturday the one with the fountain on top I haven't put any fish, rocks or plants in yet but the water has gone cloudy I was told to leave it a week then take a sample to my local fish shop before buying anything to put in it am I wasting my time taking this cloudy water down.
Should I empty it and wait another week.
Or should I take a sample

I'm new to the fish world so any help would be great

Just running water through the tank is not doing anything to prep it for fish.

You need to cycle the tank. Take a look at the Freshwater Articles Section:
FreshwaterAquarium Advice

There are several articles there that will help you get started and help you gain an understanding of the fundamentals of aquarium keeping, including the nitrogen cycle (the most important part).

Unfortunately, many LFS employees are either uniformed or don't care, and can often offer some bad advice... not all of them mind you, but there is a lot of bad advice given out on a daily basis :).

Hi my water has cleared lovely however my fish are sitting at the bottom of the tank should i be concerned? I have two platies and 2 sword tails in there. Had the water checked Friday and it was perfect however I'm unable to have it checked today as their shut. Do I need to do a water change?

Many thanks again

Yep, at least 50% with temperature matched dechlorinated water. In an uncycled 6 gal tank the fish you have are causing a lot of ammonia. They're really not suited to that size tank. It's always good to do a water change first when in doubt. You should get your own liquid test kit; API Master is best. Most pet/fish stores test with strips too which aren't very reliable.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Ive just bought a bubble machine with air stone should I turn it off at night or leave it run

Back
Top Bottom