Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rgerow05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 45G has been set up for 6 weeks now and I kept up on checking the ammonia and ph levels ( going to get master test kit today) one day, ammonia went through the roof, ph dropped, water is very cloudy and after 2 days of trying to treat them, no success at all.

Rgerow05 said:
My 45G has been set up for 6 weeks now and I kept up on checking the ammonia and ph levels ( going to get master test kit today) one day, ammonia went through the roof, ph dropped, water is very cloudy and after 2 days of trying to treat them, no success at all.

Bacterial bloom maybe. Is it stocked? pH just doesn't drop. What's your tap water parameters?

Have you done any major moving of decor,gravel vac etc ?

Can you get a pic?

Also what's your filtration?

Thanks

The Con

Convict2161 said:
Bacterial bloom maybe. Is it stocked? pH just doesn't drop. What's your tap water parameters?
Have you done any major moving of decor,gravel vac etc ?
Can you get a pic?
Also what's your filtration?

It is stocked.. 12 tropical community fish and 2 red claw crabs

I'm sorry I don't know what tap water parameter means..

I do a gravel vac every week when removing 10% of the water and 25% monthly.

It's a top fin 75 gallon power filter which had an orange slime covering the chemical filter bags, I cleaned the filter and replaced the bags two days ago.

From the new API test kit these are my results..
Ph 6
Nitrite .5 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Ammonia is off the chart has to be over 8 ppm

I attached the pic.. All the fish seem to be at the top of the tank now swimming.

Thanks for your help con.. I'm pretty new to this, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ryan

Attachments

• image-3309616086.jpg
    image-3309616086.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 45
Your is tank still cycling and with ammonia this high & your ph this low, it will be difficult to accomplish until you can drop your ammonia and rstore buffers in your water. The only good thing right now is because your ph is so low, less of the ammonia is in a toxic form. Your ammonia levels jumped because your ph crashed. The best thing you can do right now is to start doing water changes for the sake of your fish. 10% weekly really isnt sufficient in a cycled tank- in an uncycled tank such as yours, it can be deadly and your fish are displaying symptoms of ammonia/nitrite poisoning by gasping at the surface. Water changes to reduce the ammonia/nitrite levels are must here. The water changes will also help to restore buffers and stabilize your ph. A good water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel Plus will help as well. The cloudiness is likely a bacterial bloom from excess nitrogen compounds and it will dissipate with time and water changes. Heres alink with more info on fish-in cycling:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

This may be a dumb question.. But with water changes and testing do I treat the water or just use prime and keep changing the water?

Rgerow05 said:
This may be a dumb question.. But with water changes and testing do I treat the water or just use prime and keep changing the water?

Always treat the tank before adding tap water no matter what. Even if topping off you should use it IMO.

Rgerow05 said:
I think I asked that wrong.. Should I treat for the PH and ammonia, etc.?

You shouldn't be treating for pH, just use a water conditioner like Prime.

Is pH ok? Why are you thinking of treating and what are you thinking about treating it with?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a handle on what your asking so I can answer the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom