Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
goonybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Cloudy Water

Hey I am new to this app and so far I've been enjoying it. There is a lot of genuine people helping others out and that is amazing. I recently just got a 5.5 gallon tank and originally decided to stock it with 2 goldfish... bad idea I know. I relocated them because they kept laying at the bottom of the tank and I found out that goldfish require a much bigger tank than I have. I cleaned out the tank completely and got an appropriate sized fish for the volume of my tank. I got a twintail halfmoon male betta and his name is bean. So far everything has been great butttt the water in which he is swimming in is cloudy. Ive tried doing so many water changes but nothing seems to clear it up. After a day or two the water gets cloudy again. I have a single plant and a few small black rocks around the plant. I feed my betta once a day and I have a whisper filter that hangs inside of my tank. I feed my betta about 3-5 small pellets every night and he eats it all. I have had him for a couple days but the water just keeps getting cloudy no matter what I do. Any suggestions to help clear the water up? I did a full cleaning after I found a new home for the goldfish but I dont know if having those goldfish did anything to my tank. The water also clouded up when I had the goldfish so I do not believe that is the problem. Any help would be much appreciated thank you so much.
__________________

__________________
goonybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Spriteyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United States of America
Posts: 5
I'm experiencing the same problem! As bad as it looks, I've read on several websites that it is probably not harmful to your fish. It's most likely a bacteria bloom- Not the nitrifying bacteria, but a harmless kind that just grows in your tank. It feeds off of oils from your hands and dust from your aquarium decorations. Just wait for a few days and it should clear up.
__________________

__________________
Spriteyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
goonybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriteyy View Post
I'm experiencing the same problem! As bad as it looks, I've read on several websites that it is probably not harmful to your fish. It's most likely a bacteria bloom- Not the nitrifying bacteria, but a harmless kind that just grows in your tank. It feeds off of oils from your hands and dust from your aquarium decorations. Just wait for a few days and it should clear up.


Thank you so much! I did not expect a reply at all. I'll wait it out but can you recommend anything to help the process?
__________________
goonybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Spriteyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United States of America
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonybean View Post
Thank you so much! I did not expect a reply at all. I'll wait it out but can you recommend anything to help the process?


Have you tested your water parameters? Sometimes a sudden ammonia spike can also lead to a bacterial bloom. And/Or overdosing water conditioner can also lead to the cloudiness, so just be careful when adding more water when changing it!
__________________
Spriteyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
goonybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriteyy View Post
Have you tested your water parameters? Sometimes a sudden ammonia spike can also lead to a bacterial bloom. And/Or overdosing water conditioner can also lead to the cloudiness, so just be careful when adding more water when changing it!


Overconditioning water may be my issue. I never knee that could cause cloudiness. Thanks so much! I'll report to you if I have any further questions. Thanks so much.
__________________
goonybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
UntimelyLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 228
Bacterial blooms can be caused by a rise in ammonia, which is probably the case if you cleaned out the tank completely before adding the betta. Here is a link where you can get some information on starting and cycling a tank (letting it go through the nitrogen cycle) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/
__________________
UntimelyLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
goonybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntimelyLord View Post
Bacterial blooms can be caused by a rise in ammonia, which is probably the case if you cleaned out the tank completely before adding the betta. Here is a link where you can get some information on starting and cycling a tank (letting it go through the nitrogen cycle) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/


Thank you for the information. I'll definitely take a look at the link you have posted. Much appreciated
__________________
goonybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
UntimelyLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 228
Thank you for the thank you 😁
__________________

__________________
UntimelyLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, loud, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloudy Aquarium becoming even more cloudy?! Preston019 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 10-13-2012 11:52 AM
Cloudy cloudy cloudy madhatter208 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 9 06-13-2007 12:28 AM
do bloodworms cause 'cloudy water' ??? my water is cloudy Bubble_B0y Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 10-23-2005 05:54 PM
cloudy water after re-decorating and water change Gordinho80 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 04-14-2005 02:15 PM
Cloudy Water (Fresh Water) bbaker Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 12-28-2004 07:21 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.