Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goonybean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I am new to this app and so far I've been enjoying it. There is a lot of genuine people helping others out and that is amazing. I recently just got a 5.5 gallon tank and originally decided to stock it with 2 goldfish... bad idea I know. I relocated them because they kept laying at the bottom of the tank and I found out that goldfish require a much bigger tank than I have. I cleaned out the tank completely and got an appropriate sized fish for the volume of my tank. I got a twintail halfmoon male betta and his name is bean. So far everything has been great butttt the water in which he is swimming in is cloudy. Ive tried doing so many water changes but nothing seems to clear it up. After a day or two the water gets cloudy again. I have a single plant and a few small black rocks around the plant. I feed my betta once a day and I have a whisper filter that hangs inside of my tank. I feed my betta about 3-5 small pellets every night and he eats it all. I have had him for a couple days but the water just keeps getting cloudy no matter what I do. Any suggestions to help clear the water up? I did a full cleaning after I found a new home for the goldfish but I dont know if having those goldfish did anything to my tank. The water also clouded up when I had the goldfish so I do not believe that is the problem. Any help would be much appreciated thank you so much.

I'm experiencing the same problem! As bad as it looks, I've read on several websites that it is probably not harmful to your fish. It's most likely a bacteria bloom- Not the nitrifying bacteria, but a harmless kind that just grows in your tank. It feeds off of oils from your hands and dust from your aquarium decorations. Just wait for a few days and it should clear up.

I'm experiencing the same problem! As bad as it looks, I've read on several websites that it is probably not harmful to your fish. It's most likely a bacteria bloom- Not the nitrifying bacteria, but a harmless kind that just grows in your tank. It feeds off of oils from your hands and dust from your aquarium decorations. Just wait for a few days and it should clear up.

Thank you so much! I did not expect a reply at all. I'll wait it out but can you recommend anything to help the process?

Thank you so much! I did not expect a reply at all. I'll wait it out but can you recommend anything to help the process?

Have you tested your water parameters? Sometimes a sudden ammonia spike can also lead to a bacterial bloom. And/Or overdosing water conditioner can also lead to the cloudiness, so just be careful when adding more water when changing it!

Have you tested your water parameters? Sometimes a sudden ammonia spike can also lead to a bacterial bloom. And/Or overdosing water conditioner can also lead to the cloudiness, so just be careful when adding more water when changing it!

Overconditioning water may be my issue. I never knee that could cause cloudiness. Thanks so much! I'll report to you if I have any further questions. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom