Cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well i've set up a 10 gallon tank and started it cycleing. it's been one day and the water is still cloudy, it looks exactly the same as when i took it from the tap.

is it just over oxygenated or is there something else wrong.

i have an Aqua-tech 5-15 filter and an air pump under a taracotta pot (no air stone, just the tube). the only things i put in the water are Aquasafe, Cycle, and a few grains of fish food to start things up.

i've never done a fishless cycle before so i'm a little lost ATM

Attachments

• 2007-09-20-11253_572.jpg
    2007-09-20-11253_572.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 31
  • 2007-09-20-59961_130.jpg
    2007-09-20-59961_130.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 28
We seem to be having the same problem...I started a fishless cycle about 48hours ago and my water seems to have gottan cloudy as well...not sure what the problem is but if you find out let me know...I used cycle, some aquarium plant growth enhancment (which the LFS and the bottle said was pefectly fine) not sure if i'm over analyzing things or if it is actually cloudy...I plan on putting a couple fish in today to star it up

according to another forum it's just a bacteria bloom. i'm going to let it clear up on it's own, i wasn't planning on getting fish for another two weeks at least anyway.

I have extra cloudiness as well. I have tried the "water clarifier" and pro-bacteria, which are supposed to help the algae bloom, but it doesn't seem to work.

If you're cycling and it's a white cloudiness, it's likely a bacteria bloom which is what you want (since the whole point of cycling is to develop the bacteria.) If it's green, it's most likely algae.

That said, if you've just set up the tank and don't have any starter (filter foam from an established tank or gravel or such)--day two seems early for a bacterial bloom. It may be bubbles from aeration in a new tank. Also, I don't know how the various things you're adding may do to the tank. I only add a dechlorinator. I've never used cycle (although many here feel it doesn't work) so don't know if that may cloud the water.

I'd just watch it for a few days before worrying...especially as you don't have fish.

Good luck!

cloudy water

Thanks for the response, but I DO have fish. A bunch. My tanks six weeks old. I added all of them slowly, couple at a time. In the past two weeks, it's become cloudy.even after PWC....and I have two HUGE plecos, so I thought they's eat algae...? know anything about pro-bacteria?? Someone said that'd work

Back
Top Bottom