Cloudy water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Computerman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just setup an old tank (29 gal tall) that I had in storage. Thoroughly cleaned, new gravel rocks etc. I bought a new Whisper 40 power filter, the only previously used item is the heater. Filled tank and have had it running for 4 days and suddenly the water has turned slightly cloudy with a slight odor (ammonia?). There are no fish as of yet so I am a little confused as to what the cause of the cloudiness is....

Cloudy water reply

Thanks! I thought it was kind of odd as there was nothing in the tank I could attribute the cloudiness too as it is a "clean" setup. If you don't mind another question, how long should I wait to add fish? The tank has been running 8 days now, should I wait for the cloudiness to disapate?

I'd recommend going fishless and adding ammonia as necessary until the ammonia and nitrite are turning to 0 every day and nitrates are present. This is the most humane for the fish. It can take a few weeks but if you add the fish without cycling first you may be in for daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite down to 0ppm. Do you have a FW test kit?

Headed out to get one this weekend.....I'm in no rush to get the fish in and don't want to have to do this twice. Thanks for the advice....!:)

Back
Top Bottom