Cloudy Water after cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny53

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I let my housekeeping get behind with the large Plecostomus and had a really bad ammonia spike-off the scale! I successfully managed it and have had 0 ppm for about a week and a half. Water is still a little cloudy (white). I have used Accurel F twice--the water clears quickly and then the next day is back as before. I have never dealt with a ammonia problem before so am in uncharted territory--have also never had water that wouldn't clear after about a weekor so. Anybody got any advice?? I would surely appreciate it!! Oh, I just joined your forum--I found it while researching for remedies while I had the ammonia trbl. Neat website!! I never lost any fish--thank goodness. Thanks a bunch!! :?

So it's just going to take a little more time to clear then?? I really had to spend some time on it to save that Pleco--raised him from 2" he is 12" now!! Just didn't want to miss anything!! Thanks!1

Acurel F is treating a symptom, but not the problem. If you can avoid using that I think it would be for the best, and your water would clear on its own. AFAIK, this product binds up the particles in the water so they will be able to be removed by filtration, or just sit on the bottom.

Usually partial water changes, maybe even 10% daily, will allow your bacteria to colonize again and get the tank back in shape. What might be extremely important to test for is NitrIte, because you will often have a cloudy tank with that, and it is toxic to the fish as well. The treatment is the same, frequent water changes, and try not to stir up the gravel or fool with the filter at this time, until things are back in order. Once it is cycled again then you will need to clean the filter media to remove the stuff trapped by the Acurel.

Good luck!

re-cloudy water to Tankgirl

Thanks for the reply--lots of good info and I'll get on the water changes--it's been a week since I did that. I'll have it get a nitrate test kit--I have ammonia and ph and they are in order.

NitrIte is what we are interested in, but it is a good idea to get nitrAte as well. It is less toxic than ammonia and nitrite, but still needs to be kept under control.

Cloudy Water

I got my water change done already for today. Thanks for the correction on the nitrIte--I recently read about the difference between the two. Hopefully things will level on out for me now. Thanks a lot!! :D

Cloudy Water---

I started using Seachem--Neutral Regulator 7.0 after the ammo spike--being that it is a white powder--have u ever used it or could it being contributing to this cloudiness? Also the NitrIte test kit should be here Monday (20th) so I'll know about that then--continuing small water changes till then. Thanks bunches! Johnny-- :)

Back
Top Bottom