Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just bought api test kit on amazon. I will get Prime tomorrow. I also bought a PH stabilizer.. Mine seems to be a bit high.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by malott72 View Post
I will look into the test kit. I have had the same puffer in the past. The last one I had lasted 2 years (as well as a figure 8 puffer) and was complete fresh water. They do not require brackish or salt thanks.
They start life in fresh water then have to be transitioned to a marine environment. 2 years is far from a full life. They can live for 10+ years if kept in correct conditions.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ph stablizers are for really sensitive shrimp and fish. most will adjust. I would not use it. Its just another way for the pet store to get your money my friend. Just do your water changes, you could also try using purgin if you want to get all nice and polishing. Try adding some Anacharis, live plants go a long way to helping the cycle along. I planted a tank temporarily just to get the benefits of keeping the levels safe for fish. Anacharis is like a sponge, also try java fern, they are hardy, Anubias Nana, Water wisteria, Water sprite also help. I have those thanks to my friends!! Plus they are cheap, and natural monitor your tank for you! keeping a balance! Anacharis is cheap too!
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
They start life in fresh water then have to be transitioned to a marine environment. 2 years is far from a full life. They can live for 10+ years if kept in correct conditions.
Never said it died. I gave away the tank to a family friend when I went to college.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
Ph stablizers are for really sensitive shrimp and fish. most will adjust. I would not use it. Its just another way for the pet store to get your money my friend. Just do your water changes, you could also try using purgin if you want to get all nice and polishing.
I respectively disagree, it's hard to tell someone that their fish will adjust without even fully knowing what their Ph is. I have a high Ph and have to use a chemical for it because nothing else (plants, CO2, DW, Peat Moss) would bring it down to a safe level for my catfish so in my honest opinion and experience it's not a waste of money. I am not encouraging anyone to just run out and try to fix their Ph with chemicals but sometimes their isn't any other option.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com