Cloudy water from sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I rinsed, rinsed and rinsed, but the water still ended up cloudy. Running the filter, so hopefully will clear overnight. Question is, will this effect the fish? I intended to put a few back in tomorrow, but don't want to if it will harm them in any way.

Thanks. Just checked water and it looks to be clearing a bit now. I can see everything in the tank, which I couldn't a few hours ago. I'll see what it's like in the morning and check water quality.

What sand did you use? I had the same issue when I changed mine but it clear fully within an hour

I ended up using aquarium sand from the lfs. Very fine, but lots of dust came out of it when rinsing (through a pillowcase). I obviously didn't rinse enough :S

I bought aquarium sand from Internet noone stocks black sand round here. I rinsed and it was clean I thing it's more that the sand needs to settle rather than it being dirty.
Hope it sorts itself out quickly for you

richardh said:
I ended up using aquarium sand from the lfs. Very fine, but lots of dust came out of it when rinsing (through a pillowcase). I obviously didn't rinse enough :S

Don't worry no matter how much you rinse it will still cloud your tank for a bit.

Cloudiness seems to have gone, but the water is far from crystal clear. Hopefully it will clear up with PWC's over the next few weeks.

It will settle down quickly, usually within a few days, whether or not you do multiple water changes.

I never remove my fish when changing substrates so they've been in water so cloudy I literally couldn't see them in there. No adverse effects whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom