Cloudy Water! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaylyn1198

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up my 20 gallon tank about a week ago. I am using a 30 gallon aquaclear filter. The temperature is 75 F. I have 1 small oranda, 3 small common goldfish, and 1 small common pleco in my tank. I have been feeding them tetra goldfish floating variety pellets and tetrafin golfish flakes 3 times a day. A few days ago the water began turning cloudy. I added in 20 ml of tetra aquasafe and a little bit of jungle start right to condition the tap water. It stayed cloudy so I took out about 10% of the water and added new. It cleared up a little bit not all the way but went cloudy again, so I added API AmmoLock to try and detoxify the ammonia in the water but it did not help. What should I do now?

I'll give a little response and wait for the experts to come along for the best advice!

Firstly, that tank is too small for probably 1 goldfish, let along 3. Also, goldfish are cold water fish, so they're probably not going to appreciate the heated tank.

The cloudy water could be cause by many things, and one of them may be a bacterial bloom because this is a new tank (that would be a normal thing). There are a ton of articles on here about the nitrogen cycle, I suggest you read up on that and also grab yourself a test kit if you don't have one. That way you can check your actual water before using anything that isn't needed.

Last edited:
I'll give a little response and wait for the experts to come along for the best advice!

Firstly, that tank is too small for probably 1 goldfish, let along 3. Also, goldfish are cold water fish, so they're probably not going to appreciate the heated tank.

The cloudy water could be cause by many things, and one of them may be a bacterial bloom because this is a new tank (that would be a normal thing). There are a ton of articles on here about the nitrogen cycle, I suggest you read up on that and also grab yourself a test kit if you don't have one. That way you can check your actual water before using anything that isn't needed.

Thank you so much! I'm looking to get a bigger tank soon.

I suggest you return the fish.
Cycle your tank.
Then get fish that are appropriate for that size tank.

Okay, so what you are having (if it's a milky colour in the water) is a bacterial bloom.
The indicates the 'nitrogen cycle' is starting.
It's will clear it time, however this means you are doing the fish in cycle which can be dangerous to the fish.
Unless you are going to take the fish back and cycle the tank without fish in... I strongly urge you to read up on the fish in cycle.
And please buy a water test kit, API is the best.
Your tank is overstocked imo

I set up my 20 gallon tank about a week ago. I am using a 30 gallon aquaclear filter. The temperature is 75 F. I have 1 small oranda, 3 small common goldfish, and 1 small common pleco in my tank. I have been feeding them tetra goldfish floating variety pellets and tetrafin golfish flakes 3 times a day. A few days ago the water began turning cloudy. I added in 20 ml of tetra aquasafe and a little bit of jungle start right to condition the tap water. It stayed cloudy so I took out about 10% of the water and added new. It cleared up a little bit not all the way but went cloudy again, so I added API AmmoLock to try and detoxify the ammonia in the water but it did not help. What should I do now?
I bought two small fantail goldfish and in three months they've grown like weeds. I also have a 20 gallon. And a small pleco. My water is like yours, milky/cloudy. I've used two kinds of water clarifiers with no luck. My power filter isn't strong enough for the bio load it seems, but I also have a double sponge filter. I am going to buy a 55 gallon, (like I had with three large goldfish many years ago). I've been doing 3 gallon water changes 2x week. I feel your pain. My guess is to get a very strong filter..or two..strong pump, and a bigger tank. I'm also adding more plants and have a bubble wall for extra oxygenation.

This is going to sound really harsh and I am sorry but you need to hear the truth.
Ok guys Yes return the fish! Common comets need 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish that means they need 20-30 gallons per fish Gold fish live for up to 25 years. No I am not kidding when they don't it's more due to small tanks and dirty environments . Now for the common pleco definitely return it unless you are planning on a 75+ gallon tank they get huge!!!!! like up to 1 and 1/2 feet long! I have a 55 and wouldn't stock as many fish in as you have in a 20g.
You have some how managed to pick all of the filthiest fish possible and but them in an uncycled tank. I wouldn't be surprised if they start dying soon from ammonia poisoning.
If you decide to keep this incredibly overstocked tank you will need to change 75% of the water at least once maybe twice a day. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom as I am sure the cycle has started. This is what aqadvisor states.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 14%.Help on Filtration capacity
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!
Your aquarium stocking level is 409%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

This is tantamount to animal cruelty, and greatly upsets me. The cloudy water is the least of your worries.

This is going to sound really harsh and I am sorry but you need to hear the truth.
Ok guys Yes return the fish! Common comets need 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish that means they need 20-30 gallons per fish Gold fish live for up to 25 years. No I am not kidding when they don't it's more due to small tanks and dirty environments . Now for the common pleco definitely return it unless you are planning on a 75+ gallon tank they get huge!!!!! like up to 1 and 1/2 feet long! I have a 55 and wouldn't stock as many fish in as you have in a 20g.
You have some how managed to pick all of the filthiest fish possible and but them in an uncycled tank. I wouldn't be surprised if they start dying soon from ammonia poisoning.
If you decide to keep this incredibly overstocked tank you will need to change 75% of the water at least once maybe twice a day. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom as I am sure the cycle has started. This is what aqadvisor states.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 14%.Help on Filtration capacity
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!
Your aquarium stocking level is 409%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

This is tantamount to animal cruelty, and greatly upsets me. The cloudy water is the least of your worries.
Too harsh. Not bothering reading your bile. Buying a bigger tank. Bye.

It’s not bile. Truth rocks!
It is to me. I'm no newbie and don't need to be attacked or talked down by someone who claims to be an expert. I've worked w/biologists. They are better to ask questions to. Grow up and act with kindness if you want to give advice. Kindness rocks.

It was a kindness that they are taking the time and trying to get you going in the right direction. We’ve all made mistakes here and learned by someone telling us what we did was wrong. I didn’t read it as an attack.

It was a kindness that they are taking the time and trying to get you going in the right direction. We’ve all made mistakes here and learned by someone telling us what we did was wrong. I didn’t read it as an attack.
You interpret it your way and I'll interpret it my way. There's a difference between rudeness and helping. I prefer dealing with those who aren't rude. We all have to learn so its best to be pleasant, not talk down and/or blame/shame others. That's not advice but it is lack of civility to attack others with questions.

Your over feeding. 3 times a day is not needed. And might want to vacuum the bottom. The gold fish will give you alot of waste. Test your water, do water changes as needed.

You should test your water. Specifically, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You should also test the source water as well for a baseline. Use a liquid based kit (e.g. - API Freshwater Master Kit). I would not be surprised if the nitrates were elevated based on the water change schedule. The cloudiness may or may not be related. It could be due to a change in the filtration maintenance or a response to an accumulation of waste.
By the way, the text in bold font were direct excepts from the aqadvisor site after plugging in the parameters from your tank. If you go to the second post in this thread, the advice is consistent with the ones being given in terms of tank size and water changes.
The general rule of thumb for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish.

It wasn't meant as rude. Kindness maybe. It may have come off as rude but as I said I was giving you the harsh truth. The harsh truth is your fish are very large waste producers waste as in ammonia a highly toxic chemical that burns them. It wasn't to hurt your feelings, or make you feel bad or stupid. It was an instant knee jerk reaction. I also know that if my tank clouds that my parameters are off. First thing I do is take a water sample and double dose my tank with prime test the water and while I am waiting for the tests to complete I start a water change before I even know what the parameters are. For me it usually means my nitrites are high which is just as bad as the ammonia. I have had tanks off and on for the last 30 years. I look at these fish no different than I do any other pet. You wouldn't leave a German Shepherd puppy in cat carrier sitting in it's own mess would you? So why would you do that to fish?
I really am not sure any other way to have worded what I wrote. I gave you honest facts. I let you know up front that what I was going to say was going to sound harsh but ammonia poisoning is even more harsh. Red inflamed gills, blackened falling off scales, red streaks indicating internal and external hemorrhaging. Gasping at the top for air because their gills can no longer process oxygen in the water because their gills are so burnt and essentially suffocate. It happens fast too.
So now that you have an over stocked tank that isn't cycled it's time to get educated
this first site is aqadvisor it's a great starting point for stocking recommendations.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
This is live aquaria I love it for the actual information it gives you about what fish really need. Especially if you got your fish from Petsmart their labeling is all wrong case in point bala sharks they say 29 gallons and it's really 70+
https://www.liveaquaria.com/
This one deals with ammonia poisoning.
https://www.thespruce.com/ammonia-poisoning-1378479
and finally this is right off this site it is about doing a fish in cycle. I will spare you the one that calls the fish used for fish in cycles suicide fish.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html.
There is also about 100 more that will give you the same information. Again I never meant to be rude but you have a serious problem with your tank and no animal deserves a painful death that can easily be prevented.

To many large fish, to small a tank, not enough filtration, and to much feeding. Tank isn't cycled based off your explanation. There's some solid advice posted on this thread along with references.

It is to me. I'm no newbie and don't need to be attacked or talked down by someone who claims to be an expert. I've worked w/biologists. They are better to ask questions to. Grow up and act with kindness if you want to give advice. Kindness rocks.
Curious.....what did the biologists say about stocking 2 fantails and a pleco in a 55g?

Too harsh. Not bothering reading your bile.
You not liking the delivery does not automatically make it "bile". It was a good structured adice.

Tiny fantails, small pleco in temp tank until they grow/ I get a big one. I don't need biologists for that. :)
I'm not quite sure why are you bringing the biologists up then if you don't need their advice :lol:

Chances are OP who posted half a year ago resolved this issue in some way by now, but others looking for solution might be reading this. your suggestion of "I too have a cloudy water" sounded as if you saying it's a normal thing. It is not normal, it's a sign of a problem. I am not sure why you chose to disregard your problem let alone suggest others to disregard as well.

I'm not quite sure why are you bringing the biologists up then if you don't need their advice [emoji38]

Chances are OP who posted half a year ago resolved this issue in some way by now, but others looking for solution might be reading this. your suggestion of "I too have a cloudy water" sounded as if you saying it's a normal thing. It is not normal, it's a sign of a problem. I am not sure why you chose to disregard your problem let alone suggest others to disregard as well.
If you care to twist a question into something unpleasant, that's your problem, not mine. Guess you like antagonizing people but that's ok, enjoy yourself. :) As for me, I'm here to get help like everyone else from those who know more than I do. :)

Back
Top Bottom