Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
kaylyn1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Altavista, VA
Posts: 4
Cloudy Water! Help!

I set up my 20 gallon tank about a week ago. I am using a 30 gallon aquaclear filter. The temperature is 75 F. I have 1 small oranda, 3 small common goldfish, and 1 small common pleco in my tank. I have been feeding them tetra goldfish floating variety pellets and tetrafin golfish flakes 3 times a day. A few days ago the water began turning cloudy. I added in 20 ml of tetra aquasafe and a little bit of jungle start right to condition the tap water. It stayed cloudy so I took out about 10% of the water and added new. It cleared up a little bit not all the way but went cloudy again, so I added API AmmoLock to try and detoxify the ammonia in the water but it did not help. What should I do now?
__________________

__________________
Kaylyn M Saunders
kaylyn1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
I'll give a little response and wait for the experts to come along for the best advice!

Firstly, that tank is too small for probably 1 goldfish, let along 3. Also, goldfish are cold water fish, so they're probably not going to appreciate the heated tank.

The cloudy water could be cause by many things, and one of them may be a bacterial bloom because this is a new tank (that would be a normal thing). There are a ton of articles on here about the nitrogen cycle, I suggest you read up on that and also grab yourself a test kit if you don't have one. That way you can check your actual water before using anything that isn't needed.
__________________

__________________
Noah0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
kaylyn1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Altavista, VA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah0504 View Post
I'll give a little response and wait for the experts to come along for the best advice!

Firstly, that tank is too small for probably 1 goldfish, let along 3. Also, goldfish are cold water fish, so they're probably not going to appreciate the heated tank.

The cloudy water could be cause by many things, and one of them may be a bacterial bloom because this is a new tank (that would be a normal thing). There are a ton of articles on here about the nitrogen cycle, I suggest you read up on that and also grab yourself a test kit if you don't have one. That way you can check your actual water before using anything that isn't needed.


Thank you so much! I'm looking to get a bigger tank soon.
__________________
Kaylyn M Saunders
kaylyn1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,251
I suggest you return the fish.
Cycle your tank.
Then get fish that are appropriate for that size tank.
__________________
Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: England
Posts: 89
Okay, so what you are having (if it's a milky colour in the water) is a bacterial bloom.
The indicates the 'nitrogen cycle' is starting.
It's will clear it time, however this means you are doing the fish in cycle which can be dangerous to the fish.
Unless you are going to take the fish back and cycle the tank without fish in... I strongly urge you to read up on the fish in cycle.
And please buy a water test kit, API is the best.
Your tank is overstocked imo
__________________
lewis.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylyn1198 View Post
I set up my 20 gallon tank about a week ago. I am using a 30 gallon aquaclear filter. The temperature is 75 F. I have 1 small oranda, 3 small common goldfish, and 1 small common pleco in my tank. I have been feeding them tetra goldfish floating variety pellets and tetrafin golfish flakes 3 times a day. A few days ago the water began turning cloudy. I added in 20 ml of tetra aquasafe and a little bit of jungle start right to condition the tap water. It stayed cloudy so I took out about 10% of the water and added new. It cleared up a little bit not all the way but went cloudy again, so I added API AmmoLock to try and detoxify the ammonia in the water but it did not help. What should I do now?
I bought two small fantail goldfish and in three months they've grown like weeds. I also have a 20 gallon. And a small pleco. My water is like yours, milky/cloudy. I've used two kinds of water clarifiers with no luck. My power filter isn't strong enough for the bio load it seems, but I also have a double sponge filter. I am going to buy a 55 gallon, (like I had with three large goldfish many years ago). I've been doing 3 gallon water changes 2x week. I feel your pain. My guess is to get a very strong filter..or two..strong pump, and a bigger tank. I'm also adding more plants and have a bubble wall for extra oxygenation.
__________________
twopurringcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flitabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 1,914
This is going to sound really harsh and I am sorry but you need to hear the truth.
Ok guys Yes return the fish! Common comets need 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish that means they need 20-30 gallons per fish Gold fish live for up to 25 years. No I am not kidding when they don't it's more due to small tanks and dirty environments . Now for the common pleco definitely return it unless you are planning on a 75+ gallon tank they get huge!!!!! like up to 1 and 1/2 feet long! I have a 55 and wouldn't stock as many fish in as you have in a 20g.
You have some how managed to pick all of the filthiest fish possible and but them in an uncycled tank. I wouldn't be surprised if they start dying soon from ammonia poisoning.
If you decide to keep this incredibly overstocked tank you will need to change 75% of the water at least once maybe twice a day. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom as I am sure the cycle has started. This is what aqadvisor states.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 14%.Help on Filtration capacity
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!
Your aquarium stocking level is 409%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

This is tantamount to animal cruelty, and greatly upsets me. The cloudy water is the least of your worries.
__________________
flitabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
This is going to sound really harsh and I am sorry but you need to hear the truth.
Ok guys Yes return the fish! Common comets need 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish that means they need 20-30 gallons per fish Gold fish live for up to 25 years. No I am not kidding when they don't it's more due to small tanks and dirty environments . Now for the common pleco definitely return it unless you are planning on a 75+ gallon tank they get huge!!!!! like up to 1 and 1/2 feet long! I have a 55 and wouldn't stock as many fish in as you have in a 20g.
You have some how managed to pick all of the filthiest fish possible and but them in an uncycled tank. I wouldn't be surprised if they start dying soon from ammonia poisoning.
If you decide to keep this incredibly overstocked tank you will need to change 75% of the water at least once maybe twice a day. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom as I am sure the cycle has started. This is what aqadvisor states.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 14%.Help on Filtration capacity
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!
Your aquarium stocking level is 409%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

This is tantamount to animal cruelty, and greatly upsets me. The cloudy water is the least of your worries.
Too harsh. Not bothering reading your bile. Buying a bigger tank. Bye.
__________________
twopurringcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,251
Itís not bile. Truth rocks!
__________________
Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Itís not bile. Truth rocks!
It is to me. I'm no newbie and don't need to be attacked or talked down by someone who claims to be an expert. I've worked w/biologists. They are better to ask questions to. Grow up and act with kindness if you want to give advice. Kindness rocks.
__________________

__________________
twopurringcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, loud, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloudy Aquarium becoming even more cloudy?! Preston019 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 10-13-2012 11:52 AM
Cloudy water after 75% water change help? milliemara Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 06-25-2012 07:46 AM
Cloudy cloudy cloudy madhatter208 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 9 06-13-2007 12:28 AM
Help! We have cloudy water and nothing seems to help! Talia114 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 03-23-2006 02:44 PM
do bloodworms cause 'cloudy water' ??? my water is cloudy Bubble_B0y Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 10-23-2005 05:54 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.