Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cloudy Water! Help!

I set up my 20 gallon tank about a week ago. I am using a 30 gallon aquaclear filter. The temperature is 75 F. I have 1 small oranda, 3 small common goldfish, and 1 small common pleco in my tank. I have been feeding them tetra goldfish floating variety pellets and tetrafin golfish flakes 3 times a day. A few days ago the water began turning cloudy. I added in 20 ml of tetra aquasafe and a little bit of jungle start right to condition the tap water. It stayed cloudy so I took out about 10% of the water and added new. It cleared up a little bit not all the way but went cloudy again, so I added API AmmoLock to try and detoxify the ammonia in the water but it did not help. What should I do now?

Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll give a little response and wait for the experts to come along for the best advice!

Firstly, that tank is too small for probably 1 goldfish, let along 3. Also, goldfish are cold water fish, so they're probably not going to appreciate the heated tank.

The cloudy water could be cause by many things, and one of them may be a bacterial bloom because this is a new tank (that would be a normal thing). There are a ton of articles on here about the nitrogen cycle, I suggest you read up on that and also grab yourself a test kit if you don't have one. That way you can check your actual water before using anything that isn't needed.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah0504 View Post
I'll give a little response and wait for the experts to come along for the best advice!

Firstly, that tank is too small for probably 1 goldfish, let along 3. Also, goldfish are cold water fish, so they're probably not going to appreciate the heated tank.

The cloudy water could be cause by many things, and one of them may be a bacterial bloom because this is a new tank (that would be a normal thing). There are a ton of articles on here about the nitrogen cycle, I suggest you read up on that and also grab yourself a test kit if you don't have one. That way you can check your actual water before using anything that isn't needed.

Thank you so much! I'm looking to get a bigger tank soon.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I suggest you return the fish.
Cycle your tank.
Then get fish that are appropriate for that size tank.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, so what you are having (if it's a milky colour in the water) is a bacterial bloom.
The indicates the 'nitrogen cycle' is starting.
It's will clear it time, however this means you are doing the fish in cycle which can be dangerous to the fish.
Unless you are going to take the fish back and cycle the tank without fish in... I strongly urge you to read up on the fish in cycle.
And please buy a water test kit, API is the best.
Your tank is overstocked imo
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylyn1198 View Post
I set up my 20 gallon tank about a week ago. I am using a 30 gallon aquaclear filter. The temperature is 75 F. I have 1 small oranda, 3 small common goldfish, and 1 small common pleco in my tank. I have been feeding them tetra goldfish floating variety pellets and tetrafin golfish flakes 3 times a day. A few days ago the water began turning cloudy. I added in 20 ml of tetra aquasafe and a little bit of jungle start right to condition the tap water. It stayed cloudy so I took out about 10% of the water and added new. It cleared up a little bit not all the way but went cloudy again, so I added API AmmoLock to try and detoxify the ammonia in the water but it did not help. What should I do now?
I bought two small fantail goldfish and in three months they've grown like weeds. I also have a 20 gallon. And a small pleco. My water is like yours, milky/cloudy. I've used two kinds of water clarifiers with no luck. My power filter isn't strong enough for the bio load it seems, but I also have a double sponge filter. I am going to buy a 55 gallon, (like I had with three large goldfish many years ago). I've been doing 3 gallon water changes 2x week. I feel your pain. My guess is to get a very strong filter..or two..strong pump, and a bigger tank. I'm also adding more plants and have a bubble wall for extra oxygenation.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is going to sound really harsh and I am sorry but you need to hear the truth.
Ok guys Yes return the fish! Common comets need 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish that means they need 20-30 gallons per fish Gold fish live for up to 25 years. No I am not kidding when they don't it's more due to small tanks and dirty environments . Now for the common pleco definitely return it unless you are planning on a 75+ gallon tank they get huge!!!!! like up to 1 and 1/2 feet long! I have a 55 and wouldn't stock as many fish in as you have in a 20g.
You have some how managed to pick all of the filthiest fish possible and but them in an uncycled tank. I wouldn't be surprised if they start dying soon from ammonia poisoning.
If you decide to keep this incredibly overstocked tank you will need to change 75% of the water at least once maybe twice a day. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom as I am sure the cycle has started. This is what aqadvisor states.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 14%.Help on Filtration capacity
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!
Your aquarium stocking level is 409%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

This is tantamount to animal cruelty, and greatly upsets me. The cloudy water is the least of your worries.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
This is going to sound really harsh and I am sorry but you need to hear the truth.
Ok guys Yes return the fish! Common comets need 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish that means they need 20-30 gallons per fish Gold fish live for up to 25 years. No I am not kidding when they don't it's more due to small tanks and dirty environments . Now for the common pleco definitely return it unless you are planning on a 75+ gallon tank they get huge!!!!! like up to 1 and 1/2 feet long! I have a 55 and wouldn't stock as many fish in as you have in a 20g.
You have some how managed to pick all of the filthiest fish possible and but them in an uncycled tank. I wouldn't be surprised if they start dying soon from ammonia poisoning.
If you decide to keep this incredibly overstocked tank you will need to change 75% of the water at least once maybe twice a day. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom as I am sure the cycle has started. This is what aqadvisor states.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 14%.Help on Filtration capacity
Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!
Your aquarium stocking level is 409%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

This is tantamount to animal cruelty, and greatly upsets me. The cloudy water is the least of your worries.
Too harsh. Not bothering reading your bile. Buying a bigger tank. Bye.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Itís not bile. Truth rocks!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Itís not bile. Truth rocks!
It is to me. I'm no newbie and don't need to be attacked or talked down by someone who claims to be an expert. I've worked w/biologists. They are better to ask questions to. Grow up and act with kindness if you want to give advice. Kindness rocks.

Tags
ate, cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, loud, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com