Cloudy water on second day of new cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wenty

Aquarium Advice Regular
New tank is cloudy second day on new cycle is this normal ??? :confused:

My test readings:
PH 8.3
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
Temperature is- 82 F

It's all a big 0. :p

Should I be adding Ammonia or fish food to help this along? I'm guessing yes ??

If its a bacterial bloom.

I've read the cycling thread just want a little guide through this start up. Thanks.. :)

You need to be adding an ammonia source. Your readings are 0 because there is nothing. I assume you used RO/DI water or else those nitrate readings are wrong. Doubtful any tap or bottled water has 0 nitrates (unless distilled)

and it's not a bacteria bloom if it's just water on the second day

You need to be adding an ammonia source. Your readings are 0 because there is nothing. I assume you used RO/DI water or else those nitrate readings are wrong. Doubtful any tap or bottled water has 0 nitrates (unless distilled)

It's tap with Prime in it...... I have three filters running on the tank two HOB and canister with carbon. I'm using the API master kit and the color is yellow = 0 Nitrate.

Well I think my Mopani Driftwood is causing it... lol. I soaked it in a bucket of hot water for a few days but I don't think it was enough. :(

it will release tannins if it is not cured... it would be a yellowish brownish murky color though... what color is the 'cloudiness'? I soaked mine for over a month then put it in the dishwasher (no detergent and skipping the drying cycle) and havent had any problems

It has a red tint to it.... It's not to cloudy but it's not clear. I'm sure my three filters with the charcoal are helping control it.

Update on my learning..... :p

Well I did some looking on the net and found some pictures of bacteria blooms. That is what I had and it's clearing up.... It wasn't the drift wood so I'm happy about that. :D

to be continued:

Back
Top Bottom