Cloudy water with good parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thefishnut

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I have a friend I'm trying to help with their tank and I can't figure the problem they've had cloudy water for a bit the parameters are 6.6 ph 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. They do regular water changes 5 gal with 2 goldfish yes I know overcrowded I'm working on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi there you could try some active carbon which should help clear things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does have active carbon constantly running he wasn't using it correctly until I helped him about 1-2 months ago he was just washing his filter out and putting it back in. I showed him the filters he needs to use and is now replacing them once a month

How old is the tank and how much water does it hold ,as it could be just a bacteria bloom and if that is the case ,in my opinion he needs to stop changing the water until it settles, The thing with a bacteria bloom is some people think You have to keep changing the water to get rid of it but that isn't the case it's just a chemistry thing and it needs settling itself down which could take a week or so and is very common in new set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gold fish are good for kicking up crud of the floor of the tank which will cloud the tank ,
I have the same issue but only in SW clowns love to sweep the floor of tank ,
usually clears up in a hour or so

Washing the filters rather than replacing them is actually a very good idea. :) Beneficial bacteria grow on the filter pads and they are what keeps your tank cycled.

I've never not run active carbon in my tanks so I can't say as to if that works. I just know that he had horrible parameters when I started working with him and now besides the cloud his tank is good. I have to ask I mean I understand in a sw they aren't useful in fw either I run bio wheels that's my bacteria

Cloudy water has come and gone 3 times since I set up my 190 last August. I've increased my WC interval to 12 days, starting to wonder what else to try.

Cloudy water has come and gone 3 times since I set up my 190 last August. I've increased my WC interval to 12 days, starting to wonder what else to try.

I would reduce Redding to the minimum (we over feed at some time) which which control the rise in nitrates. Then only water change to keep the nitrates at your chosen level, mine is 20ppm or less. It's then a waiting game.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom