Cloudy water within an hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gemma94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The tank i have all the sudden went cloudy an then we saw two fish had died a black finned shark and a sucky fish. We done a 25% water change but not quite sure what else to do as lost a total of 13 fish now in the week

We have been testing it regually water was perfect put fish in then it all went wrong, tanks been runnin over a week now too

aqua_chem said:
The tank should take 1.5-2 months to properly cycle. Your fish are likely dying as a result of this. Have you been testing the parameters yourself? "Perfect" means nothing to us. What are your exact parameters? What's your ammonia at right now?

You should read this asap: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

+1

Perfect for water parameters usually means that you have been getting it tested by a Petsmart or similar.

You need a liquid test kit in order to keep your parameters in check.

API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT is the standard for most of us here on AA.

As already stated when doing a "FISH IN" cycle it can take up to 2 months sometimes longer to cycle your tank. This "cycle" is where beneficial bacteria grow in your filter, on decorations, glass surfaces etc which convert harmful ammonia (fish waste) into less harmful chemicals.

Without this beneficial bacteria you must perform large water changes regularly until the bacteria establish itself within your aquarium.

Read the article that has been posted above and all will become clear.

Jon

The local pet shop tested them, was all at 0.0 which they say is 'perfect' we wernt going to add any more fish until we are sure everything is fine

Its a backteria bloom that clouded water.
Keep testing peramiters, you are begining the spikes of backteria and probably will be a good month tnen the training wheels can come off.
Buy an API test kit and read about cycling

Gemma94 said:
The local pet shop tested them, was all at 0.0 which they say is 'perfect' we wernt going to add any more fish until we are sure everything is fine

This is the trouble with pet stores.

If I took my tap water to the pet store for testing it would read
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

Which on the face of it look perfect. However Once added to an aquarium and fish added to said aquarium ammonia begins to increase due to fish pooh and excess food.

In an aquarium filter, bacteria begin to colonise which convert this Ammonia into a less harmful chemical Nitrite. This can take 2-4 weeks. Once this bacteria has established itself the filter then begins to colonise a second set of bacteria which convert Nitrite into Nitrate.

During a "FISH IN" cycle the levels of Ammonia/Nitrite can spike at dangerous levels for fish. This can cause internal problems along with sudden death.

Your local fish store should have explained this to you but most neglect this information because they want you to keep coming back and buying fish when they die.

Until you get yourself a liquid testing kit you will need to do 50% water changes daily until you can monitor all of these levels.

Jon

The test showed what urs are, and we added 21 fish in total in 3 day we di not know this at the time and no1 seemed to help other than this site, but cloudyness went last night

Gemma94 said:
The test showed what urs are, and we added 21 fish in total in 3 day we di not know this at the time and no1 seemed to help other than this site, but cloudyness went last night

21 fish in 101litres?

It sound like you may also be over stocked for your size tank.

Have you purchased a testing kit yet?

Could you tell us what fish you currently have in your tank?

Could you also tell us what filter you are using?

With this many fish in such a short period of time you could have a VERY VERY SERIOUS Ammonia problem. That serious that it could kill every occupant of your tank.

Jon

Just to show you about stocking.

In my 200 litre tank I have
3 Bolivian Rams
2 Golden Algae Eaters
7 Zebra Danios
7 Penguin Tetras
6 Amano Shrimp

That's a total of 25 fish/invertebrates in a tank that has 99 more litres of water than yours.

Jon

Why are we counting fish/gallon? That's an even worse way to calculate stocking that in/gal.

Did you read the article I linked you earlier? You need to buy your own ammonia and nitrite kits and begin following the advice laid out therein ASAP.

Theres no point in buying one as we go to the pet shop 2 times a week and get it tested terr for free

I don't think you are quite understanding.
Pet stores, 9 times out of 10, use test strips which are NOT as accurate as a actual test kit. They also don't give you the best information because they have other interests, namely, you buying more fish.

The API master test kit is your best bet to get ACCURATE information.

Ours use test tubes to see what it is they then look to see what the colour is on the colour chart, they have all been trained and we have only has ours done by the manager o the fish department

Gemma94 said:
Theres no point in buying one as we go to the pet shop 2 times a week and get it tested terr for free

No offence Gemma but you need to be checking these parameters daily until your cycle completes.

YOUR FISHES HEALTH IS DEPENDING ON YOU!!!!!!

A testing kit is a VITAL addition to your tools.

If your Ammonia is above 0.5ppm then this is toxic to fish.

If your Nitrite is above 0.5ppm then this too is toxic to fish.

The only way you can save your fish right now is to change 50litres of water at least every other day for the next 3weeks possibly 6weeks.

Would you allow a dog to live in its own excrement? This is in effect what you are doing to your fish.

Your fish store are flawed, you've already admitted this yourself as they haven't told you about the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. So what makes you think there testing your water properly?????

You really need to be testing your own water so that you can keep your fish healthy.

Otherwise you will be spending money each week replacing fish that you bought the week before.

Jon

But if we change half the water every-other day then the cycle will not work properly as the bacteria isnt going to sort its self out

Arggghhhhhh

Haven't you read the article that was posted earlier.

THE BACTERIA DO NOT COLONISE IN THE WATER.

THEY COLONISE IN YOUR FILTER, ON DECORATIONS, ON THE AQUARIUM GLASS.

Changing water has no negative impact on the cycle.

Read the article posted on page one by AQUACHEM.

JON

Back
Top Bottom