Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

clown loach disappeared

I am in the process of setting up a 58 gal planted tank. I have been letting it sit with plants but no fish while it cycled for the last 3 -4 weeks. I discovered hitchhiking snails about a week ago and to get rid of them I got a clown loach. I know that I added him "early" but it seemed the best way to get rid of the snails. It worked, I haven't seen any snails since a couple of days after adding the loach. But I also haven't seen the loach. I want to start feeding him since his live food seems to be gone, but I put food in (I have done this for several days now) and it goes untouched. The tank has a lot of rocks in the bottom, as well as the plants. If he is hiding, is there anyway to entice him out w/o removing all the rocks? If he died, how will I know?

My husband has a SW test kit, but I don't have a FW one. Can I use the ammonia test for both or do I have to have a FW one?

Thanks,
Kimberly

Old 06-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only way is to remove all the rocks. One time I had to tear down all the rockwork in my 55 gal and found him wedged into two rocks. I would think the saltwater test kit would work, but I'm not sure of this.

If your clown loach is OK and doing well, you may want to add maybe two more because they are like to be with their own kind.

HTH

Old 06-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't want to hear that! Taking out all the rocks will be a pain, plus I know that I will never get them in the same way that I like right now. Sigh...

I plan to get more of them once I officially put fish in...do you think adding more now will entice the one I have out to visit?

I was hoping that someone would chime in with something like "if you put in such and such food he will come right out", kind of like if you holler "chocolate chip cookies" in my house everyone comes running!

Thanks,
Kimberly
Old 06-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try looking for him a few hours after you turn the lights out at night. Or a few hours before you usually turn on the lights. I've had times where I haven't seen my loaches for weeks at a time. They've always turned up. Usually if they are sick they will float out in the open. That has been my experience. Other loaches would probably help entice it out but if your tank isn't ready for them yet I would wait as clown loaches can be delicate and very susceptible to ick if everything isn't perfect.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Ariamus Send a message via Yahoo to Ariamus
You know, it's funny you asked because I've been meaning to tell this story...

...a couple of days ago, I got home from work and fed the fish in my 75 gallon tank and I had what I can only describe as a "clown loach moment".

Now, I've heard that these fish can act pretty peculiarly and I've noticed as much since I got my group of four a week ago. For example, a couple of days after I got them I was doing some work in the tank trimming plants and one of the loaches jumped clear out of the tank. After a couple of tries, I was able to pick him up and put him back in the tank (didn't realize their barbels were so prickly, BTW). He seemed to be OK and he's still alive today so their reputation of hardiness lives on.

But peculiar or not, I was in no way ready for what happened a couple of days ago. I was feeding the fish and, this tank being new, I did an inventory and I couldn't find two of my four loaches. I looked and looked; scanned every inch of the aquarium three times and I couldn't find them. I checked all around the aquarium (thinking they may have jumped out and bodies were to be found) but no luck. My wife and kids suggested that maybe the other fish ate them but none of the other fish are of that nature. I just couldn't find them.

Then I turned off two of my three bubble makers and lo and behold, they appeared, seemingly out of nowhere....

...where they were, I only wish I knew...
5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 6 Cherry Barbs, 7 Algae Eaters, 6 Tiger Barbs, 6 Black Ruby Barbs, 6 Tri-color (Bala) Sharks, 6 Clown Loaches, 7 Assorted Corydoras, 1 Red-tailed Black Shark, 2 Rainbow Sharks

30 gal, Freshwater, "holding" community
2 Plecos, 16 assorted African Chiclid juveniles including: 5 Red Zebras, 5 Keniye (4 females & 1 male), 3 Acei, 3 Saluzzis (sp?), 3 Auratus (sp?), 1 adult female Keniye

Rui, aka Ariamus
Ariamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
hmm wait a few days, id you dont see him you'll have to get him out somehow
Old 06-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Found him!!! He looks great! Yeah!

More fish to be added soon!

Kimberly
Old 06-04-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Loaches are very good at getting in places you wouldn't expect. They are known to swim down the riser tubes of undergravel filters and go underneath the filter plates.

Tags
clown, clown loach, disappeared, loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com