Clown Pleco in Tannin-rich Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miss.lottie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I am currently deciding on potential tank-mates for my male betta in his 55-Litre Aquanano 40 tank. I'd love to get a clown pleco (and plenty of driftwood for it to eat), but I have read somewhere that they require clear water; and my beta's tank contains Indian almond leaves which gives the water a yellowish tint and keeps the ph at 6.6-6.8. Would this be a problem for a clown pleco?
:thanks: in advance!

Shouldn't be a problem for the clown pleco! My friend kept a clown pleco in a way over-stocked 100l tank that was mirky and the fish were fine! In fact the pleco was one of the ones that survived the longest (8years)! My only worry is that your tank would be too small! I would say 100l would be the minimum since the clown pleco got large and looked like it was too large for the tank! I would recommend a smaller pleco or some corydoras instead because it might not be big enough for that pleco and clown plecos are kind of a pain(in my opinion) I would also recommend some neon tetras because they are amazing and look great with a betta!

What type of smaller pleco would you recommend? The reason I'm considering the clown pleco is because I hear it's the smallest, lol. I've been hearing some conflicting advice on whether or not a clown would do OK in 55L tank though - some people are telling me it should be fine and others are saying exactly what you told me. The only reason I'm hesitant about tetras is because I'm worried that they may out-compete my betta for food at feeding-times and end up eating all of his floating bette-pellets before he can even get a chance. Is this worry unfounded? :(

Back
Top Bottom