Cocktail shrimp cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I always hear about this being done in the SW tanks and on the SW forums.

I was curious, does that work for FW tanks to? I'm about to get my 30gal set up and I don't want to use biospira, and I don't want to don't want to cycle with fish.

Yep. It works with both; it provides an ammonia source as the shrimp rots. You might want to look into using pure ammonia tho (you can get it at the market); its easier to control the amounts of ammonia that are added.

Are you gonna add some squeezings from a mature filter? You've got enough of em LOL If you use a mature sponge from one of the tanks you prob wouldn't need to fishless cycle anyway; it would automatically add the right bacteria.

*smacks forhead*

I'm an idiot, Alli.

I don't know how it happened.

I had fully intended on swapping the Biowheel from my 29gal to the 30gal, since its mature, and the 29 has a mature filter pad and tank so a new biowheel could go in there and get colonized in no time.

Thats what I intended to do from the beginig.

My mind has been slipping recently..

Okay, sorry all.

This post can be deleted I guess, Since I'm an idiot with a 130year olds memory :oops: :oops: :oops:

But you can live vicariously through Kerrinne while she details her experiences in the thread, Cycling with Raw Shrimp. Personally, I like the way you are going better--seed from established tanks, leave out the SMELLY shrimp :wink: !

Well...I took all the shrimp out of my tank last night except for one small one. The smell has disappeared (not sure where...) but I called my mother to confirm that my nose was not broken. She confirmed that there was no longer odor somehow.

Anyway, my nitrates were on the surge last night. I will test when I get home tonight. :) It's really not too bad given that I just started this Saturday.

Alli - my local grocery stores did not have just plain ammonia unless they are somewhere other than the cleaning solutions aisle. I did find various scents of ammonia (lemon, etc) for cleaning though.

Back
Top Bottom