cold water aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilbenchy9192

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hiya guys how is everyone???

so a while ago i purchased a 3ft tank and after trying to decide on what i wanna do with it i thought about cold water. bit of a change from the other two tropical FW tanks ive got running.

its current cycling with a few plants, bioboost chemical, and a fluval external filter with a 1ft spray bar.

anyway my question is will a spray bar limit my choice of cold water fish ie fancy goldfish etc because of the current caused???

if so would making a longer (just under3ft) spray bar be better or should i just use a straight return??

also any ideas for cool fish???

lilbenchy9192 said:
ok thankyou, wat do u think about the spray bar if i had a fancy??

Use the spray bar. It will distribute the current more so it won't knock the fish about. Can I ask how you are cycling? Are you adding pure ammonia?

hiya guys quick update, decided to go with two fancy gold fish for now. spent ages choosing in the shop and i think i come out with the best to goldies they had :)

img_1707282_0_ae7e66cf31cb3ae8398f867dbfb86207.jpg

cant see much in the pic cus i took it on my phone but the black one is a fan tail. the tail meets perfectly along the top edge and splits along the bottom into to pieces.

the gold one is mainly orange and white but the tips of all his fins feather off to an almost gold colour. they are really pretty looking fish :)

ill get a few better pics up once theyve settled a bit more and are used to me peering through the glass at them :p

Those two will be fine in that tank for now but will need a 30gal in the near future. Can I ask what kind of filtration you have? Goldies need a minimum of 10x the tanks volume an hour. So a 20g needs a 200g/h rated filter. It's also a good idea to get them some high quality sinking pellets. The floating kind and flakes can cause swim bladder issues. The also LOVE greens. Blanched peas and broccoli are what I feed my three.

Heres an ID on your goldies. The black colored one is a black moor (telescope) that looks like he is losing his melanization (black pigments). The orange & white one looks to be a pearlscale. Please consider upgrading your tank to something more appropriately sized for 2 fancies (atleast 30gals) in the near future. The moor can grow to be 10+ inches & the pearlscale 7-8 inches. Please ask if you have any questions!

the tanks plenty big enough for now, with a massive external filter and undergravel filtration so they'll be happy for a while yet

It may seem big enough for them. Their growth, however, will be affected by not having sufficient space & water. Please do your research on the goldies you have purchased so you understand about their proper care, feeding & what to expect. They will grow the most in their first 2 years of life under ideal conditions. Please ask if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom