Colorful Bottomfeeders?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadman2003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to start a freshwater tank (29g-38g) and was wondering what people liked for colorful bottom feeders? I'm thinking I'll have black sand or gravel substrate so some pops of color would be nice. It would be nice if these guys would clean up algae too.

Thanks.

nomadman2003 said:
I'm looking to start a freshwater tank (29g-38g) and was wondering what people liked for colorful bottom feeders? I'm thinking I'll have black sand or gravel substrate so some pops of color would be nice. It would be nice if these guys would clean up algae too.

Thanks.

Banded kuhlis are colorful. I like 3-line cories too, especially against black- they pop! There are also laser cories which have stripes of red or green down their side. They are usually available on Aquabid if you cant find them elsewhere.

South American Bumbleebee catfish (don't eat algae, but are bottom dwellers). Also, leopard frog plecos are bright.

All great suggestions! Thank you! I love the look of the Kuhlis. I will definitely look at adding some of them.

Laser cories are bright. They also cost a pretty penny though...

You want colorful algae eaters, I have super red BN pleco's available. Actually more orange than red, but definitely colorful, won't outgrow your tank, and they eat algae their whole life.
Incidentally, if you want black sand check out Black Diamond blasting grit. Much cheaper than aquarium sand.

Back
Top Bottom