coming from swtrying fw now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ICEnVy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i gave up on sw and now i am setting up my 55g fw.

do i use the protein skimmer?

bio-wheel or under gravel filter?

do i let the water cycle?

anything make fw better?

best fish combination for kids?

plants? lights?

any way to make tanks more secure? im afraid of my 1yr old tipping it or something.

th pet store here doesnt know anything. thanks =)

Your water would have to be in pretty bad shape for a Protein Skimmer to do any good in FW, so don't bother with it.

I wouldn't recommend the Under Gravel Filter or the BioWheel. The BioWheel is more gimmick than function in the smaller sizes built for aquariums. Instead I'd recommend going with an AquaClear HOB filter or a Canister Filter.

Cycling an aquarium is important with any aquarium. There are a variety of methods that you can use. Fishless (adding pure ammonia or raw shrimp), Silent (planting heavily and slowly stocking), or traditional (slowly stocking and doing water changes as necessary to keep fish safe).

When it comes to live plants there are lots of options. Your best best is to head down to the planted tank forum and read through the links in the Read This First sticky. Once you have a better idea of what you want, post questions and we can help you figure out what you need.

I thought I'd try to answer these also...

do i use the protein skimmer?
no, like Joy said, no real need in FW

bio-wheel or under gravel filter?
Neither, I would use an Aqua Clear brand filter, like Joy said. :)

do i let the water cycle?
Yes, use one of the methods Joy listed, fishless being the best for your fishy friends. You can use other methods but they take much longer. The stickies have some great resources as far as fishless cycling is concerned. You can also jump start the cycle by using media from another established tank.

anything make fw better?
The thing that drew me toward FW is the ease of maintenance. Really only need to keep up on water changes and the occasional trimming if you go planted.

best fish combination for kids?
This is really personal preference although I imagine some brightly colored fish (guppies, tetras, some cichlids) would do best. There are lots of options there but it really comes down to what you want. I must admit that I really like the look of a cichlid tank with all the different color varieties available but you are limited to just cichlids due to aggression.

plants? lights?

It really depends on what type of plants you want in your tank. I'm not a plant expert by any means.. I have some java moss and Amazon swords that are growing nicely in my tanks with just the stock lighting. If you get to a higher light level you may need to add CO2. The planted forum has some great stickies also.

Good luck and post back with any more questions. :)

thanks for the advice. i just wanted some active fish thought that would be cool for kids. i am also concerned about the tank tipping because its got four posts for legs.....

i am switching from sw cause i dont have the time to maintain it. its a pain in the butt. when i had my baby stuff started dying so i just gave it away. my goldfish made it through the new arrival so i figure stick with whats easier for now.

..... I just read the fishless cycle sticky and 6 weeks, man, i am not that patient lol. any quicker ways? i cant just use water conditioner or anything?

Water conditioner just removes the Chloramines and Chlorine, it does nothing to build the beneficial bacteria colonies that convert Ammonia to Nitrite and then to Nitrate. You can use Biospira which works extremely well if it's been stored properly (kept refrigerated all the way from manufacturer to customer) or you can beg, borrow, steal some seed material (used filter material, gravel, decor, etc) from a friend's healthy aquarium. Both will significantly decrease the time that cycling takes.

Back
Top Bottom