Common Newbie Pitfalls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a newbie myself, and I made almost all of these mistakes.
But I'm starting over now, and this post is about my friend, not me. He asked me why I had the master test kit from API (my new best friend btw), because all I needed to do was put some water in, dechlorinator, and some fish......and make sure to remember to feed them. I know that he has had good luck with his fish (one seems to be refusing to die) but I was so appalled by what he said, after everything I have learned here.....I just wanted to share, and say to all other newbies: it cannot be stressed enough how little you can trust the people at lfs, specifically chains. And be careful who you get your info from, don't trust someone's advice about fish because they are a good friend, trust them because of their experience, and ALWAYS double check the info regardless. It is MONUMENTALLY important, and part of why I lost so many fish was because I figured that the people working there had to know what they were doing, right?
I have never been so wrong, and the mistake cost the lives of most of my fish.

Back
Top Bottom