Community Tank Noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KuhliCray

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I got a 20 gallon tank cycling at the moment. I'm gonna make it a planted community tank! It's my first! Is there anything I should know that is important? How do I make sure my bottom feeders (kuhli loaches) don't get their pellets eaten by vicious guppies and neons? Should I buy a bigger size? Right now I have Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. Is that a good staple diet for them? I want to make sure every fish, shrimp, and loach is fed the same amount.

Bump
Could I have a little input?
I'm buying algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and bloodworms at my LFS on the weekend. Should I get frozen or dried?

I generally find that if I have a food that stays in suspension is eaten by the fish and the sinking wafers are left for the kuhli’s. There is one specially for bottom feeding loaches they love.

Since starting my first tank, I've learned some things. You may know them already.

Check water parameters once a week. You can easily buy test strips.

Clean tank/do water changes once every month. Only change about 25% of the water and use a gravel hose to get most of the gunk out.

Keep an eye on the fish, behaviors and such so you know how they normally behave. If they deviate from normal behavior, do research on what could be wrong with them.

Replace carbon filter bag once every 2 weeks, this helps keep water fresh.

For your loaches, make sure you have sinking pellets or something that sinks. The guppies should have flakes or whaterver on the surface to keep them busy.

If you have plants in the tank, make sure they have a light source if you want to keep them happy and healthy.

That's what can think of right now ^_^

Back
Top Bottom