Community Tank Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Getting suggestions for the future. I have a 29g tank. Aquaclear AC50 filter. Currently have 2 fancy tail guppies, 2 swordtails and 1 cory catfish. Will be adding another in the future. What are suggestions to add? I would like to keep the bio load down but have color in the tank.

bettaowner said:
A few more cories.

+1. You say you're adding another but in that tank you should be adding 3, they shoal.

I would look into rams, tons of color and I think you could do a pair.

+1 to adding 3 more corys to the one you have now (same type).

I think a shoal of schooling fish would look nice in that tank as you already have one or two of other kinds of fish. A group of 6-8 fish would look great. Rummynose tetra maybe? There are a lot of options for a 30 gal; maybe look around the fish stores and write down some of what you like and then we can help narrow it down for you.

The tank is cycled and we are doing research, part of which is getting advice from people on the forum. Thanks to those who replied with suggestions of fish. My daughter would like to add a pair of red platys and then we would wait a week or more to ensure all is still good with nitrates and then add a small school of either some kind of tetra or danio. Would like something active and colorful. Do cherry barbs do well in a community tank?

The tank is cycled and we are doing research, part of which is getting advice from people on the forum. Thanks to those who replied with suggestions of fish. My daughter would like to add a pair of red platys and then we would wait a week or more to ensure all is still good with nitrates and then add a small school of either some kind of tetra or danio. Would like something active and colorful. Do cherry barbs do well in a community tank?

It is my understanding, and someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, that in a properly cycled tank, you don't have to wait to stock fish/stock a little at a time, you can stock everything at once without an issue.

It is my understanding, and someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, that in a properly cycled tank, you don't have to wait to stock fish/stock a little at a time, you can stock everything at once without an issue.

No you do want to add slowly so that you don't overload and get a huge ammonia spike or anything. You never want to add all at once.

Definitely more Cory's they are awesome puppy Like fish in groups, 1 or even 2 tend to sulk and not be very happy 4+ they have so much fun together.

No you do want to add slowly so that you don't overload and get a huge ammonia spike or anything. You never want to add all at once.

Ok, maybe that is just cichlids then? Because that's what we were told to do with our Mbuna tank over in the Cichlid section. I knew it would be corrected if wrong though :)

KryptiCouple said:
Ok, maybe that is just cichlids then? Because that's what we were told to do with our Mbuna tank over in the Cichlid section. I knew it would be corrected if wrong though :)

You're probably told to add all cichlids at once because of the whole aggressive territorial thing.

Op if you do platys the recommendation is 1 male to 2+ females, and if you're set on just two get two females, I was told wrong at the store an got 2 males 1 female and now because two males harassed the female to death, and then 2 males were harassing each other I only have one now :( oh well, they were my GF's choice anyway haha

What about cherry barbs, do they do well in a community tank? Anyone have experinece with them?

hyperman said:
What about cherry barbs, do they do well in a community tank? Anyone have experinece with them?

Now not to hijack the thread or anything, but about the Cherry barbs, would they be ok in a 55 tank with cories, neon tetra, marbled hatchet fish, Australian rainbows, 2 clown pleco, and possibly more?

i have 6 cherry barbs in my 29 they are with rummynose and cadinals and do fine, they are community fish non aggressive unlike their other family members

Back
Top Bottom