Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some photos of her becoming more confident (but still not graceful):
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432699198.147740.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432699273.149477.jpg
Please excuse the horrible-looking plants; the mysterious unwanted snails have been destroying them.

I saw something today that may not be very good... The frog was going for a bloodworm, but so was Ruby. They both started trying to look menacing, with Ruby flaring and circling the frog and the frog waving its little arms around. They eventually backed off, but I'm kind of worried now.

I saw something today that may not be very good... The frog was going for a bloodworm, but so was Ruby. They both started trying to look menacing, with Ruby flaring and circling the frog and the frog waving its little arms around. They eventually backed off, but I'm kind of worried now.

Keep an eye on them. Maybe spot feed the frog directly or distract ruby then feed him

Caleb

Maybe you could catch ruby in the cup she came in and feed her in there while you feed the frog.
I had to do this with one of my female Bettas when I had a female betta tank. She would chase everyone during feeding so I'd catch her to give everyone a chance to eat. She was so smart. I'd put the cup in the water and she would swim in on her own, wiggling in an excited manner.
So anyway that's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe you could catch ruby in the cup she came in and feed her in there while you feed the frog.
I had to do this with one of my female Bettas when I had a female betta tank. She would chase everyone during feeding so I'd catch her to give everyone a chance to eat. She was so smart. I'd put the cup in the water and she would swim in on her own, wiggling in an excited manner.
So anyway that's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feel like repeated use would cause stress to Ruby. Cups are small just for feeding even. That's just IMO that spot feeding might be a little easier on them. :)

Caleb

I tried spot feeding, and it's working alright. Ruby is smart, though, so whenever she sees the eyedropper she gets really excited. I also noticed something interesting - when she gets stressed or excited she has very vivid horizontal stripes that are normally not visible.

Cool! I've wanted a betta for such a long time now! I was gonna buy a cool blue and white butterfly fantail male that was at the LFS for only $95 and put some neon Pseudomugil rainbows in my spare 10g with him if he was good tempered.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Those lines are "stress lines" It's common in female bettas and like you said shows up when they are stressed. They also get vertical lines when they are ready to breed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those lines are "stress lines" It's common in female bettas and like you said shows up when they are stressed. They also get vertical lines when they are ready to breed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's also common in most cichlids and anabantids. Sometimes they are used as defense mechanisms, and the bars will turn deep black while the body pales to add contrast and a false sense of size.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Back
Top Bottom