Compatibility.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I would like to know if the following fishes are compatible....
I have neons and rummy nose tetras, sword tails, platies, guppies...
And i would like to add in a few dwarf gouramies, angle fishes.
So is dwarf gourmies and angle fishes compatible with the fishes I had? BTW I would purchase small size dwarf gouramies and angle fishes.

Angelfish are agresive and could put allot of stress on some of your smaller fish.

Your fish will not be happy with Angel Fish. From what I have seen, these Angel Fish might eat up the tetras, or bother them excessively.

I would stick to one Dwarf Gourami in the tank, especially if it is a male. They tend to get agressive as well. Though I have a Dwarf in my community tank and he seems to be very happy [and so am I!].

If you buy the Angel Fish as youngsters, and they aren't too big, you MIGHT be able to get all the fish to get along, but I am not too sure.

Angels eat neons like candy. And they all grow up to be really big. Everything else sounds good as far as compatiblity goes, assuming you have a big tank. Angels require at least a 30 gallon or so as they get quite big. And even then you could only keep 1 or 2. If you add more than a couple gouramis then make sure there is lots of line of sight blocking or there could be lots of aggression. Plants are really a must, either fake or real will be okay, though gouramis do like to nibble on live plants and a little on algae as well.

Just my 2 cents:

I know some one who has a tank with an Angelfish and a Neon Tetra.
She got the Angel when it was small, and she has never had a problem with it.

Jen :multi:

But I bet that neon isn't very happy all by himself, dodging an angel.

A big preditor like an angel will cause a lot of stress in smaller fish. So even if he doesn't eat them the smaller fish will probably end up living a much shorter life due to the stress leading to illness. Not great for the tank.

I agree with what has been posted about the angel, as I keep them myself. I also have dwarf gouramis and mine tended to be aggressive in smaller tanks, like 10-20 gallons, where they killed all their tankmates (single specimen in each tank). In my 55-gal the gourami is sweet as pie, but don't know how they would be if there was more than one.

But if i have neons out numbered angels and gouramies, would it be alright? I have 50 neons, and i intent to buy 1-2 angel/s ( smallest size ) and 1 dwarf gouramies.

Still need to know the tank size. I believe in the wild angels eat neons, so eventually they will likely be lunch, but it might take a while. 50 neons? You may be allright for quite a while if you have a really big tank. It is just probably smarter to skip the angels if you have the choice. Just speaking from experience, here.

jeeez mansiz,
what kind of tank do you have?? 50 neons? AND guppies??? HOW BIG IS YOUR TANK??? sword tails like to have tanks 25gal +. they need the space when courting the females.
And just by the way, neons and guppies are very different in their water needs, so either one kind is gonna die sooner than it should or you give away one kind...
guppies like hard water, neons need soft water.

seems like you have a lot of fish already. I'd stop here.
-s.

About the glas ctfish, they prefer to be in groups and dont do well if they they dont have a strong current. On the angelfish topic, everything has pretty much been said.

Back
Top Bottom