Compatibility of Rainbow Sharks, Cichlids, and Clown Loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillyfan33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

After a visit to my LFS today, I was talking with one of the managers about what kind of fish to get within my range of liking.

Pretty much, to be short, I am going to do a fish-in cycle with 3 of the african cichlids he pointed out (I do not remember exact kind, but they were obviously ok-ed by him for following fish. Also, I know fish-in cycle is not the best option, but he gave me some instructions to ensure health and safety of the fish.)

Then after the tank is fully cycled from the cichlids, he suggested adding a few Rainbow Sharks since they are semi-aggressive, can hold their own ground (Won't be pushed around) and actually are normally busy cleaning the tank/decorations, which I think is a pretty good trait to be adding!

Then about a month later (6-7 weeks from today), I was going to add in 1-3 clown loaches. He said these loaches will only have issues (since they will be the smaller size starting out) if cichlids are too big, so the loaches will have to just be one of those see-what-my-situation is with the cichlids and sharks.

Any comments, suggestions, or anything else is much appreciated! If anyone has a similar stock that can give pointers that would also be very appreciated. Thanks all!

I would be wary of adding clown loaches to the tank. Rainbow sharks can be territorial and reside in the same area where your loaches will be residing and if you're adding your shark first he will already be established. Also keep in mind that clown loaches should always be kept in groups of at least 5 which gets to be a problem when considering their adult size. They need a tank that is at least 6 feet long.

I would definitely recommend taking a look at this article on loaches if you haven't already: Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) — Loaches Online

Yeah I started seeing a lot of information like that from what I have read. Thank you for your input!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 3 loaches and an orange shark (sorry don't know name, apricot body with orange fins), apparently they are the least aggressive. My clown loaches and the shark get on really well, no issues at all, the shark is bigger than 2 of the loaches. I think if you have them, get them at the same time, I think that this helps...good luck

Thank you! Yeah the black and red/orange is the one I like too. So to make sure they are put in around same young age and size, at same time might work.

Phillyfan33, the black, one is the more aggressive shark, i was advised by the LFS NOT to put that into the tack, the one i have is just the apricot/orange fin shark. I wouldn't put the black one in

There's a chance it works or doesnt work I guess. What all online compatibilities show; that it can work but not for sure. Hence introducing each other at younger age instead of matured adults where there is more aggression and all. Just from what I have seen, read, and been told that's all not trying to argue at all :)

That's okay, just repeating what i have been told, the choice is yours. I love the sharks they add their own personality to the tank, mine play around with the loaches, no aggression at all, if anything the bigger loach get annoyed with it!! lovely to watch. Good luck !!!

Considering African Cichlids like completely different water and some need a veggie based diet or they'll bloat...personally I won't mix fish that are that different.

Clown Loaches like live plants and sand bottoms and hiding places. Awesome fish. I'd imagine most Africans would shred them.

Find out the EXACT Africans he is recommending please !!!!

Many LFSs offer bad advice.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom