Compatibility - Which fish are Shrimp safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've done some research on which species can go with what. I currently have 2 guppies, 2 mollies, and 6 ghost shrimp. From experience, what would go well with these and what wouldnt eat my shrimp?

What size tank are we talking about? Tetras would go good with them if there is enough room.

29g. I've read mixed reviews from different sites. Barbs and Harlequin Rasbora I like a lot.

Depending on the Barbs you go with, they can be nippy. Rasbora's are nice and colorful additions.

meegosh said:
Depending on the Barbs you go with, they can be nippy. Rasbora's are nice and colorful additions.

Tiger Barbs are neat and interesting to watch. A buddy of mine has 12 by themselves. How would they fare with what I have?

Ceej said:
29g. I've read mixed reviews from different sites. Barbs and Harlequin Rasbora I like a lot.

Harlequin Rasbora are one of my favorite. They're really pretty once they color back up from then being at the store and all stressed. They never bother anybody else too. I know barbs can be fiesty towards other fish.

Tiger Barbs are neat and interesting to watch. A buddy of mine has 12 by themselves. How would they fare with what I have?

They'd probably kill off your other inhabitants. In my opinion, and from my experience with them, tiger barbs do best in a species only tank.

Consider rummynose tetra, white cloud mountain minnows, kuhli loaches.

LyndaB said:
They'd probably kill off your other inhabitants. In my opinion, and from my experience with them, tiger barbs do best in a species only tank.

Consider rummynose tetra, white cloud mountain minnows, kuhli loaches.

Kuhli Loaches are nasty! Haha.

00youknowit00 said:
Harlequin Rasbora are one of my favorite. They're really pretty once they color back up from then being at the store and all stressed. They never bother anybody else too. I know barbs can be fiesty towards other fish.

I put a couple Rasbora in the tank today. They look awesome! They'll look better when their color comes out like you said. I only got two because that's all that were left. As long as everyone gets along, I'll get a few more when they come in.

Ceej said:
I put a couple Rasbora in the tank today. They look awesome! They'll look better when their color comes out like you said. I only got two because that's all that were left. As long as everyone gets along, I'll get a few mire when they cone in.

I'd suggest trying to get 6-8, 8 being better if you can fit them in. I hope you like them as much as me! :)

00youknowit00 said:
I'd suggest trying to get 6-8, 8 being better if you can fit them in. I hope you like them as much as me! :)

Idk if I can get 6 Rasbora lol. I've got 2 of each now. I was thinking 3-4 of each species.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I would also suggest six or eight.

Were you considering any other shrimp or just ghosts?

I saw bamboo shrimp today, but I passed on those. I heard red cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp don't get along. I want more shrimp, but no more ghost.

Is it safe to get 3-4 more Rasbora tonight if just bought 2 last night?

00youknowit00 said:
Good! I've generally had pretty good lurch stock wise with harlequin rasboras.

I'm at max capacity now with 12 fish in my 29g tank. I was hoping to get some white clouds, but got two more guppies along with the Rasbora, so I think I'll have to quit now lol.

Back
Top Bottom